No 64 bit images on virtualbox

Installed Virtualbox, wanted to start an Ubuntu server, turns out I can only run 32 bit images.

Checked Bios, virtualization is enabled.

This turns out to be because Windows 10 wants you to enable HyperV, which isn’t available on Home edition.

Has that always been the case? I recall having Windows7 Home and being able to run 64 bit images…

I just don’t remember the situation exactly.

Also, don’t most providers just… not provide 32 bit ISO’s anymore???

What’re my options here?

EDIT: Turns out it was turned off all along. I suspect an erroneous bios reset.

A wild guess here. Windows 10 had started using Hyper-V for all kinds of security enforcement. So even if it seems you aren’t running it, you might be anyway.

Virtualbox should have warned you, I think? But it might be running in a nested hypervisor mode (as a VM inside a VM).

Check your security settings. I think there’s some things like “Core Isolation” and “Memory Integrity”

I have a windows 10 machine that has hyper-v off and is running 64 bit VMs just fine.

What may be happening is that your windows 10 home has hyper-v on, but only for the security features, but the access to hyper-v for running VMs is off( since pro or better is needed). So then virtualbox is limited to 32bit since it cannot access virtualization from the CPU directly due to hyper-v being on, but also cannot access Hyper-v for virtualization.

I too am running Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit as the host and also in a VM along with other test Linux distros.

However I am using VMware and no Vbox, I also have Hyper-V disabled.

Turns out it was turned off. God dammit. Must have done a bios reset by clicking too fast or something.

Good to hear you figured it out :slight_smile: