NN is dead but my internet speeds goes up?

No, I didn’t. It’s yet another in a series of attempts to make us feel better about the death of Net Neutrality. This one is a shadier one that gives us false hope that something better will just happen along now that Net Neutrality is out of the way.

Spoiler alert: It’s not coming.

Anti-trust laws are still a thing, and they are a thing that can often take months to resolve. Hopefully you didn’t want to watch Netflix, or use Vonage for the next several months while a judge who doesn’t know technology from a can of paint decides whether or not Vonage’s VOIP service is the same thing as your ISP’s telephony service.

ah ok, well you seem pretty set on this, but…

shadier? Another attempt? False hope?

I just said, that NN and what we had were both bad for the internet in general
you can’t make an omlet without cracking a few eggs.

It may never come, though i don’t think it’s going to be as bad as you think.
Once this starts affecting the nation at large, the courts will probably see our side.

Growing pains, did you really think NN would stay around forever? It’s way to restrictive, ISPs hate it,
there is a middle ground somewhere, I think we have a better chance of finding it now than we have for
the past two years.

1 Like

I think the speed of me upload is broken lmao

Never just leave it at one test.

Do several and take an average.

Would be interested to see if you continue to get those sweet sustained throughput.

Yeah I have used plenty of others I have never seen and odity like the upload before.
Must be a glitch on their end. My upload is 10Mbps most I think I have seen it spike to 15Mbps.

Usually that happens when the bandwidth limiter is though software and not hardware.

Happened occasionally where I used to work, where all of a sudden people would get a symmetric connection and then had to dial them back to their rate. :sushing_face:

The best way to test speed of your connection is to download/upload a real file that is very large. For example a game from Steam or run a torrent with lot of seeds and leeches. That will give you more accurate info.

A very large single file, and then many small files.

Streaming versus backing up documents, etc.

Mine is… Well better, but I don’t believe that this is my actual speed.

1 Like

of course. i use a half dozen or so. the only one i deliberately skip is my ISP’s own speed test site.

sorry sep but from where i am sitting phi is a nutter as well as most of the rest of the FCC board. if it was me ISP’s would be running for Washington to stop me from enforcing things that should be enforced. and i would fine the ever living hell out of ISP’s that are so damn large but cant seem to get there infrastructure right even when we have payed for it.

from where i am sitting the middle ground is keep your hands off my data. stop messing with network traffic and my data. and keep your eyes off my packets. and finally deliver the network infrastructure that we have payed for. and if ISP hate the idea that they can pass the data through and not look then well by George they can hate it and still pass it along because stop snooping on my data.

Protections start slipping away in Jan.

I’ll tell you this now
That dream will never be a reality without a widespread use of strong end to end encryption.

Really the only way that will happen, don’t trust them to not snoop, make it impossible

Now we’re speaking the same language. :slight_smile:

RIP America

1 Like

This has become another death of NN lamenting thread where OP’s question has already been answered but people are talking in circles about “what if” tinfoil theory crafting.

4 Likes

CEOs of the major configs have told investors (where they are legally obligated to tell the truth) that the move to Title II would have no impact on their investments in infrastructure. The claim that having the ISPs in Title II hurt investment in infrastructure is complete bullshit.

As for what will happen now that ISPs are no longer Title II; it will be boiling the frog alive strategy. You throw a frog in a pot of boiling water, and it will jump out. You put a frog in a pot of cold water and slowly raise the temp and you will boil it alive. They will start doing very small things and it will gradually become more and more significant. Also, the FCC is pretending they have a regulation in place that requires ISPs to make public any throttling, but the fact of the matter is they have no power to enforce the regulation. The whole point of classifying the broadband carriers as Title II, was to give the FCC the ability to enforce regulations. Now that they aren’t Title II, the ISPs can ignore anything the FCC tells them to do. Its just a PR stunt, making the public think they’re protected from throttling when they aren’t.

Also, if removing Title II would promote competition, why do you think all the big ISPs support it? They would lose money if they lost customers unless the removal of Title II also let them profit more from existing customers. So either they don’t think they’ll lose any customers and don’t expect the promise the FCC made of increased diversification or they expect to make more money per customer because of the removal of Title II classification, which means we will all be paying more for internet.

Here we are arguing about net neutrality when what we really need is eugenics.

I’m just going to close this. its gone way off topic into pointlessness.

6 Likes