Nintendo NX to use NVidia Tegra?

nintendo should just stick to apps.

What I take away from the article:
The two companys with "N" are in the bed together
Nintendo plans on fusing portable and home into one

After all the trends Nintendo has missed out on, this seems like it will crash land pretty bad. The Nvidia shield portable was promising but the streaming function is more of a local thing (I would say it was a steam-machine type of success). The portable market is filled by smartphones (PokemonGo....) and partially by their DS line. Home gaming are XBox, Playstation, PC and Wii. So what are they trying to do?
Whatever they do, they will make compromisses. Render 1080p@60FPS is hard to do, doing it portable is even harder due to power limitations. Now imagine bolting controlls to the thing (size boosted), a docking port (dust cough, cough) and rebirth of cartridges for home use. Sounds more like a disaster then anything else to me.
On the Wii, they did not even go with HDMI but with some proprietary connector.
They dropped cartridges due to cost back in the day (SSDs are cheap but you would not want to stress the SATA-connector to much)
DO NOT ASK ME ABOUT DOCKING PORTS! Docking connectors on mobile workstations are a mess! When they work, they work great. But if they do not... Good Luck!
On that note: How do you charge that thing? Via the dockingport at home, but surely you will need on the go charging.

I imagine the Nokia N-Gage with bigger, landscape format screen, more rectangular and with wierd controlls on the front. My guess for pricing will be arround 500 to 600€ (same in dollar). Success? No, more like dive bomb into becoming Nintendead and Nintendone!

I think that this is all about the shield. Sounds like that is what they are going for, with the tablet being able to play things portably. Looks like instead of turning away from the direction of the WiiU, they are going full steam down that sorrowful path. I think that is the only reason that they would go with NV over AMD. AMD does APUs, not portable tech. They don't have a shield competitor.

AMD might with K12, but I can't promise that it will keep up.

Um, no. They'll use AMD. They have a brand new hardware lease until 2020.

Any info or news on that, other than old news, which would be about as credible if not less than this information.

I can see them doing AMD though, but do they even have an ARM CPU that can even hope to compete against NVidia's Tegra yet? May be more one-sided than GPU warz.

Yeah there was a few articles last year saying they had a lease till 2020. If they have it, they'll use it. NX is supposed to be cloud based, they don't give a shit about having a tegra. They've never cared about firepower. Just enough to keep costs down for consumers and to make the game fun.

1 Like

thats very odd since nv killed off their Tegra cpu, but accounting for their grip on japan market this seems reasonable to some point. I don't think this console be anything great - it'll be quite bad.

1 Like

I wonder if they plan on going with the tablet idea that was rumored like wildfire then if this is the case, I mean, AMD does have K12 for their plans and they do have Zen APUs, but those APUs would use too much power for such a thing to have good battery life and it's highly debatable if the K12 will compare to something like the Tegra X1 or P1 (Pascal?).

Or they might make a normal system, but it would have to be semi-powerful (XBO territory is rumored as well) and it's not like Nintendo knows what normal is nor do they care for it.

They have no reason to buy amazing hardware. The APU in the wii U has 6 GPU cores and 2 CPU cores. It doesn't hold up as well as the xbox or PS4. Again, they just buy what they need. Theres a reason the 3DS is ARM/MIPS, and previous DS's were RISC. If they're doing a portable it will be big endian, if a main console, X86. At least most likely X86. I doubt they would get another PPC license.

1 Like

Nintendo would have a better chance of success though if they had more third party support and that means getting more compute power since devs have even said the PS4 is a bit light-weight for their ambitions. Although for mobile systems, I set the bar lower, you can't expect much from mobile systems, name me a mobile GPU (not counting any upcoming Pascal/Polaris/Vega mobile GPUs) that outperforms my R9 390, the GTX 980M don't fit the bill, although I'd be happy if I could get a laptop with that.

I was betting they would do an ARM system since Nintendo had wanted to integrate home gaming and mobile gaming into one system and ARM is the way to go essentially for portable, unless you need x86 support, but again, AMD has nothing in store near the NVidia Tegra X1, yet anyways, maybe a custom chip perhaps.

I smell the PC leak. Again, and for final, they don't care that much. They release the devkits and thats it. They aren't going to throw 500 mil at another hardware lease when they already have whatever AMD shit they want in the jaguar line.