Nexus 6P or Moto X4

Dad has a third gen Moto x and he is quite tired of it. My family has TMobile and with my 6P I get that band 12 extended range goodness but he doesn’t and its REALLY noticeable when we travel. The new x4 also has this (band 12). As well as a micro SD card which the 6P does not. Price is also similar

TL;DR I’m torn between telling dad to get Moto X4 or Nexus 6P here’s a poll

• Motorola
  • Nexus

0 voters

The Nexus 6 p has a battery issue. My Mom’s flat out was stuck in a boot loop and it was out of warranty. I would not recommend it.

Moto X4 for that 14nm ARM goodness. And microSD.

I must be lucky

There can be lemons. I only have a sample size of one.

1 Like

Which is statistically 100%, no? :stuck_out_tongue:

To the topic at hand… this is going to be a bit of a rant.

I have a Motorola (X Play) which I bought ~1,5y ago. The idea was that Motorola was always rather fast about updating Android. But let me tell you since Lenovo took over the update policy of Motorola sucks majorly.

Of course this depends on what you want and/or expect, but I expect a device to get updates at least through warranty period. Well, here’s the thing. They promised right about when Nougat came around that they would update “soon” (with a big ™ ). Well, spoiler alert, still no update to this day. In fact at the time it was delivered with Lollipop on board, when it arrived I had an update for Marshmallow instantly, which was awesome. Since then I have seen a grand total of 2 updates to the system (and the site still states I will get the update by the way). And the best part is Lenovo is actually reducing the speed of updates now to incorporate “important security updates” into “major releases”. Soooo… there’s that.

/rant

TL;DR: If you want updates, avoid anything that isn’t google. If you don’t care about updates and/or want the microSD and/or want to flash something else anyway go for the Motorola. Because the build quality is actually not terrible (at least for mine that is).

You should have your mom try again.

Mine on the other hand has been ok. I killed one in a pool once but that was it. Only phone I ever did it to and I bought another one and it has been good too.

Yeah dad’s Moto x is on Android 6 meanwhile I just got Oreo today…

1 Like

The Snapdragon 630 is a great plaform as long as one is not getting the phone to play a lot of games, which I guess he’s not. The power efficiency is great and the ability to run all of the eight little cores at the same time makes it a great multitasker (it’s a true octa core design). I also wouldn’t guess that he’ll miss not getting Android 8.0 right away. The Moto X should also charge up faster.

I vote Moto, a buddy is on their second moto and the bang for buck has consistently been good and their ROM is very ASOP which I really like. My only gripe with the moto x4 is the built in Alexa.

I own a 6P and I’m quite happy with it, though I should’ve waited a bit longer to see what was the custom rom scene like. My previous phone was a 2011 Samsung Galaxy Nexus and I loved it for all the years it lasted.

If you take really good care of your devices and want to jump into the custom rom rabbit hole, I’m sad to say the 6P didn’t get as much love as the 5X.

It’s been a year of heavy use and I didn’t have any issues with it, although I’m aware I was lucky on the draw and didn’t get a faulty battery one.

Also if you want extra privacy, you can have Copperhead on the 6P

1 Like

Having the moto x4 its pretty solid

If you have specific questions feel free to shoot them my way. Current OS is 7.1.1 i believe and google said 8.0 by end of year

No alexa if you order through FI

1 Like

Get the Nexus 6P and trade it in for a Google Pixel :^)

Nice. This phone is interesting- I’ve become less interested in flagship phones and IMO Moto is killing it in the sub-flagship scene.

Has every feature I want except removable battery, but the life on it is really good for the light use i do on phones.

Happened to me as well