Nexus 5X: What cloud storage system?

This may apply to more, different topics, but as I'm on the way to upgrade my phone, I'll post it here.

I'm looking at getting a Nexus 5X from my current daily driver, the Galaxy XCover 3. It just works, but no root and Samsung bloatware drives me up the wall. I want to go to a Nexus device for the popularity with the tech community (which translates to long-term upgradability software-wise) and the modularity. A phillips-head screwdriver, a spudger and I can take out almost anything I don't want (selfie camera may go, but the GF would possibly hate me).

What irritates me, however, is the lack of an SD card slot, making me rely on the 32GB of internal storage. For reasons I'm sure everyone understands, I don't want to use Google Photos or GDrive for obvious reasons, but my Forpsi Cloud storage only has 20GB.

I mostly carry my Thinkpad X220 with me (240GB SSD), so it shouldn't be a problem most of the time, but I listen to a lot of music.

SO, AFTER A LOAD OF SHITTY BLOAT, MY QUESTION IS: WHAT CAN I USE TO REPLACE GOOGLE PHOTOS?

just build a nas and throw nextcloud on it or pay for a vps and do the same.

I would, but that would only solve half of my problem, since my internet connection is shit (5Mbps down, 0.8 up). Quite good for uploading TO it, stuff like photos etc., but not FROM it.

Isn't there micro sd key fobs with 64Gb and more?