Nextcloud setup extravaganza

So here’s my adventures of setting up nextcloud so far. just some hot tips for anyone wonderign about nextcloud installations

I’ve been using the snap packages because it’s so damn clean. decreases any problems you might have with extreme configurations.

Through this time I have figured for my purposes that NFS is not ideal for creating shares. The way that nextcloud sorts out it’s directories for users goes “data” -> “user directory” -> “actual stuff”.

With the snap I can create new directories inside of it, and could probably create symlinks to things like my nfs mounted shares, but you’d have to do this for EVERY user, and even then the directories I made weren’t visible to nextcloud. Likely due to the fact that root was the owner.A bitch and a half either way you slice it. highly recommend setting up an sftp server on whatever server you have holding all your data on.

Another weird thing was that even as an ALL:ALLsudoer I wasn’t able to run the connect nextcloud:removable-storage command? Dunno what the fuck is up with that. Maybe it’s a centos thing? First experience with centos cause absolutely screw trying to run actual RHEL without the green to buy a subscription.

all that aside, SFTP connection to the storage server was seamless. Also allows you to properly control access to the folder with groups and users based on the permissions allowed to the user creds you use to connect sftp, so if you don’t want anyone deleting files or anything you can just attach the same shares as a different user in the external storage menu and add users to that group.

One thing that was really weird is that I enabled https and just couldn’t get into it at all. I thought it would allow to connect via the local domain and the external domain I have, but it didn’t respond at all.

so now I’m moving on to configuring a proper domain controller to help out with all these goddamn users I’ve created on all these different boxes. more to come on that.

1 Like

I used the tar/zip setup on centos.

I didn’t have any issues even with selinux enabled.

What is this sorcery? SELinux has fucked up so many of my installs.

1 Like

shit, i should setup selinux too.

1 Like