Nextcloud install/setup help

Hello everyone,

I’m new to the forum and relatively new to DYI computers. I built a few systems in the past year and have been so pleased by the performance that I have decided to build my own little Nextcloud server. I’ll be using a small win10 system that I just built (I know I’m in Linux land but I’ll be using win10). The specs are humble because all I want it to do is be a dropbox replacement server for me and me alone. This build features the new AMD Athlon 200GE APU, A Gigabyte B350 itx MoBo, 8gb of Crucial Balistix RAM, a small Corsair M.2 SSD for the OS, and two 2tb Seagate barracudas running in raid 1.

My question has to do with the set up. I’ve heard it was easy enough but I cant find easy to understand information for the install and setup process (especially in win10). I mean, I downloaded the “Nextcloud server” download and can’t even tell what the heck file to even install! The file that Nextcloud directed me to download has hundreds of files in it and I can’t find the executable. It kind of feels as if Nextcloud doesn’t want me/people to use their tool.

Has anyone set this up before and are you willing to send me some pointers or direct me to some directions? Again I just want to set up a single user server, that I host and then access from 2-3 other machines. I hate goolge and would like to stop using them as much as possible. I would also like to stop paying dropbox $100 a year for cloud access. Help me do this!

Ehh… I’m going to absolutely honest here, the server portion of nextcloud runs better in Linux.

If you want to run it in windows, start looking into the WAMP stack, there are prepackaged softwares out there like WAMP and XAMPP that will help you with your Nextcloud goals, but I recommend against them.

1 Like

hmm if you wan’t your life not getting hard, don’t use proxmox and virtualise everthing that you can :slight_smile: Keepo idk about nextcloud on win, test it and give us info :slight_smile:

xammp is trash imho

I think both XAMPP and WAMP is trash, but they are the only options I currently know of if you want to get Nextcloud-server working on Windows.

well you can always get it working inside of vm? :slight_smile:

May as well turn the entire system into a hypervisor at that point.

Also I should address these to help you understand how nextcloud-server works better

This is likely because of a misunderstanding on your part. There is no “install” when it comes to Nextcloud-server. The files given is what is required for the web service to “run” the nextcloud-server.

So how it’d likely be done is you need to install Apache Web server (or some other of your choice), PHP, and MySQL (or some supported alternative). You then configure the basics of the web server and throw your Nextcloud files into a directory apache will read from. That is how you “install” nextcloud.

I have set this up before and I still use it today.

Indeed, but let this be our lesson, let him get it working so he can make guide “how to get nextcloud working on ntkernel4.0” :slight_smile:

Just better to run it on linux.

Most times it doesn’t really matter, but for nextcloud you’re kind of better off just using it. Or try to find an alternative to nextcloud that works on windows natively.

1 Like

You don’t, you either use a WAMP stack or some fucked up method to install php in IIS which my coworker calls it a pain in the ass.

I highly recommend using the Docker image, especially if you’re going to run it on Windows. Running it containerized will make your life much easier, because it really isn’t optimized for Windows and there’s not much support for it.

Alternately, you can run it in a Linux virtual machine. Nextcloud even has a pre-installed VM available. You can run it in VirtualBox, which is free. This is probably your easiest solution, damn near close to one-click. The setup instructions are for Linux, but it should be doable in Windows pretty easily.

But really, your most elegant, efficient way is going to be installing a Linux server and running a Docker container on top of it.

you got that right my first experience with wamp still gives me nightmares
@DoomsDayCJ installing a linux server is actually a better choice
most versions of server distros do not have a gui but are managed through a web based interface. For server performance you do not want a gui on the same machine as the servers data base as gui tends to be resource hogs.
using web based gui such as nginx or others keeps a gui interface on the workstation machine rather than the server.
nas4free, freenas, ubuntu server, zentyl server, netthesys, fedora, arch, and debian all have specific server distros but you can set up servers on just about any distro.
even windows! but i highly recommend against that.

Hmm portainer and webmin can help a lot if you actually don’t like ssh into machine

Thanks so much everyone! All the feedback here caused me to read more. I haven’t made up my mind just yet but Win10 and Syncthing might be the best option for my use case. Let me know if y’all disagree.

Thanks again!

just remember, RAID is not a backup.

I have a guide for you here. It is Linux based though.

With the hardware you have you might as well just install Virtualbox and then run your Nextcloud server as a virtual server.

I have an email server and Nextcloud server running in a single board x86 computer with a 2.2GHz Celeron and 4GB of RAM. Before I installed Elasticsearch for the “Full Text Search” function the server was consuming only 700MB of RAM. Now it uses a whopping 2GB.

29 posts were split to a new topic: Mounting NFS in an LXC container