Nextbit Robin: A Nexus 5X Competitor On Sale for Killer Price

I own this phone and I can vouch for it being worth it. first off let's go down the specs list

• 1080P 5.2 inch Screen
  • 13 Megapixel Back Camera, 5 Megapixel Front
  • 32GB Storage (Non-Expandable) [It Has Built in Cloud Storage But Who Cares About That]
  • 3GB of RAM
  • 2GHz Hexacore Snapdragon 808
  • USB Type C
  • 2680 mAH Battery
  • Fingerprint Sensor

The devs of this phone have worked with the community to bring official custom roms to the phone, such as

• AOSPA [Paranoid Android] (though right now it's Broken in my opinon., but there are plans for Nougat)
  • Cyanogenmod 13
  • Unofficial Resurrection Remix
  • Bliss ROM
  • Dirty Unicorns
  • Android Ice Cold Project

and many more.. also rooting the phone and installing a rom doesn't void the warranty.

All for a small loan of $169 right now.

if you are in need of a good phone for your money this is it.

6 Likes

2 Likes

Shamless self bump for the greater good..

2 Likes

You bought one?

Yes. I've had it for a while. those screenshots are from my phone.

I wish it had expandable storage. If it did, I would be interested, for sure.

I have a Oneplus1, but this looks pretty cool.

Not much of a phone guy, but I like the look of this.

looks nice I do like the beta program on the nexus/pixel line because it is fun to be a software hipster.

1 Like

Personally, I really like the look of the boxy edges and whatnot. For the price, definitely a good option. I will remember to keep my eyes on these guys when I do finally upgrade my phone. Hopefully, they will have expandable storage by then.

Looks funky in a really good way, I've seen it talked about before...
The specs are a beast for that price, and the warranty is awesome if they allow you to root it.

I do prefer smaller phones though. I've been using a dumbphone until recently, and only decided to take the leap into Android when I figured out it could help me do my job more efficiently. Still pretty new to it and still can't touch-type for sh*t. I'm too used to physical keyboards.

@Kat How is the battery life? Looking to replace my aging Nexus 5.

in all honesty it depends on the usage. but one thing I will guarantee you don't expect it to last a full day. if you are heavy user, it will die in 6 hours. moderate usage, like music and just quick internet browser on the go. somewhere between 7 or 8.

the Robin has a 2680mAH battery the nexus 5X has 2700mhz. so just put that into perspective.

Well my Nexus 5 only has a 2300mAH so anything will be better than that. Any idea on who runs their cloud storage?

Apparently Amazon from what I remember. BUT to use the cloud storage, you have to stick with the stock Nextbit ROM.. if you install Cyanogenmod or Paranoid Android (which i don't recommend you do, Paranoid Android is finicky and broken) you won't have the cloud features. it's proprietary and exclusive to the Nexbit OS Rom.

but that may be a feature to the paranoid to no longer have automatic cloud storage(even though probably options to turn it off)

It's a feature on the Nextbit OS.. because it's proprietary.. if you use Paranoid Android or Cyanogenmod the cloud features aren't built into it, so it won't work.

nah meaning, some people might find it a feature to not have their stuff backed up

I didn't use the feature even prior to installing the rom. however, the cloud sync feature is natively built into Nougat. so that's a thing.

Is there a higher capacity version?

No. just 32GBs. also worth mentioning I used Android Ice Cold Project and I switched back to CM13 a few hours ago. in total, you have 25GBs of Storage when you just start up the phone. the same as the Nexus 5X

Though i myself don't use my phone for games. I use it strictly for Music and internet browsing / watching quick youtube videos on the go.