Next gen consoles vs PC

Agreed with cheesyegg, they want to use cards like a 6670.

I'm just going to leave this here.

http://www.hwcompare.com/11279/radeon-hd-6670-oem-vs-radeon-hd-7970/

Our PC's aren't going to be outdated for another 6 years :P

I want to know how people who are saying next gen consoles are going to compete with PCs are justifying this thought.  Honestly nobody is going to by a 600-700 dollar console, we saw how that worked for sony with the PS3.  Hell people were complaining that the WiiU costed as much as it did.  And to the guy saying he heard there is going to be a 7970 in the PS4, no offense to you but, please think about this for a second. That console would cost at least as much as the PS3 did at launch, probably more, and Sony will lose heaps of money on their second console in a row.

console will never be a theat to the computer in my world

graphics isnt everything but, when were console ahead with the graphics ? i certainly cant remember

I doubt comparing consoles and PCs makes any sense in the first place. Both have pros and cons. Price, performance, optimization, bla bla bla, you all know what I'm talking about.

Still no one ever mentions what I think it's the main reason for buying one or the other for gaming: games. All the stuff you already talked about is of course important, but useless as long as the games are not fun / not what you're looking for. I own a PS3 myself, and I only use it for Final Fantasy, since I'm a huge fan. I mean, what's the point in getting a powerful pc if you only want to play Naruto Ultimate Whatever, Kingdom Hearts or Zelda and have just as much fun?

So consoles can make sense if they're comfortable, plug'n'play, cheap and if they have really amazing games that are not available on pc.

i heard 7670

Logans current $1850 gaming pc, will most likely crap all over next gen gaming consoles.

I just hope the next gen consoles are advanced enough not to hold back graphics quality on pc, with multi platform games.

I have walked away from consoles forever mainly because of game reverse compatability. I have close to 50 original xbox game disks that are now only good for target practice. Yet i can load up a pc game from the 90s and play on any pc past present and future. Stupid XBOX

consoles are mearly about the money. they will never be as powerful as the pc plus the pc has one huge advantage over anything and thats being able to be upgraded by the user consoles will never be able to do that. plus the price of a powerful console nowadays will be crazy expensive

A console is a means of allowing people who have no idea about computing to play games and be satisfied, and still have some money left in their pockets at the end. Most console gamers aren't interested in being 'involved' in games, they're happy enough to sit in front of a screen and play the same fps over and over with a different number on the case. PC gaming will always be ahead of the console, its just more an enthusiast platform.

To make a good console, they would just have to take a 1600 laptop and make it into a console. Needs an i5 and a 670m or something. PC would still crap on it, but it atleast would be something developers could make look pretty for the next... 3 years maybe, but then 4 years after that we will have 16 Core PC's and GTX 1000's and AMD 10000's... so there boned no matter what. Form factor screws them.

I personally don't give a shit as long as it had games I want, Xbox Live somehow becomes free, and Sony doesn't use that shitty patent that blocks used games in their PS4. If all of the above are in there, the only consoles I am having 8th gen are Ouya and Wii U (and I am enjoying my Wii U at the moment as well :D)

The projected specs of the next gen consoles are already 2-3 years behind PC, with release dates scheduled for quarter 3 or 4 of 2014 console hardware will be really out of date. That and an estimated price range of around 500$ will only serve as a deterrent to users, since the low price point is part of the consoles success.

Also at the moment Sony and Xbox have both proposed a CD key like system for consoles, making it so disks bind to your system, thus killing the ability to share, trade or buy used games.

It’s a combination of everything above, as well as Steam Big Picture and possibly the SteamBox that in my opinion will ultimately lead to more console gamers to PC. 

well sugar coated with xbox live it will never become free if anything i think psn should cost money if you want to play online you should pay and look at xbox live vs psn psn sucks least xbox live is good 

maybe they'll be ahead at first becuase if you put the graphics cards on an xbox and the same card on a pc the xbox is ahead, so maybe the consoles will be slightly ahead of the people who use mid end cards like a 660ti but people with high end cards will still be ahead, personally im saving my money just incase the xbox somehow beats my pc for less than the cost it would take to upgrade it (since i dont yet have a graphics card)

Consoles always got second hand GPU's.  PS4 is rumored to use AMD Southern Island GPU and AMD 64 Cpu.  Been and gone no contest.

Sony didn't make any money on PS3 for the first 3 years they had to cut something like $800 off the retail cost just to get them to sell.  Apparently.

Not surprising considering they used a modified nVidia 7800gt for the console, that GPU being only a year old then modified for the PS3.  Pricey.

i belive they say the PS3 is using a 7970, and thats the best NOW, but the consoles dont come out for another year, thats alot of time, so what may be the best parts now, wont be when it drops in a year, so pc will already have that huge boost at that point. (You pc gamers know how fast componants get outdated haha) so i think no matter what they do it will end up like the old gen consoles and will be quickly outdated. Unless they offer staggard new versions with better parts. Which i highly doubt.

All I've seen is they have targeted Southern Islands Gpu nothing specific not that I've looked lately.  But they gotta be able to bring the PS3 to the market well below the price of a mid range gaming pc for it to sell.  So I really can't see them implementing a high end gpu like the 7970.

I remember when the PS3 first came out in New Zealand it was around $1400.  Half a year later me old man upgraded his PC to Q6600, 2GB Ram, Mid range motherboard, Sound Card And Nvidia 9600GT for like $850.  It was awesome at the time just coming off a P4 system.

Anyway I was reading an article on I don't know pcgamer or Kotaku or something, about the draconian drm scheme.  In the comments a few people were stating they will either get an Next Gen Xbox or save up for a gaming PC.

That's a pretty good indication of where the market is going.  Not too mention all the first time PC builders switching from console currently on this site, no doubt their mates are going to see the value of flexibility and quality and eventually do the same.

Thanks to Logan and Mates more and more console gamers are belong to us. \m/

There's a few debates of differnt views rolling around the internet.

remember consoles arnt cheaper to have lets look at the price vs pc over say a 5 year period.

take the ps3 at time of launch was roughly £350. Games are still around £44 for new releases (COD-BLKOPS2 @ Game.co.uk)

say you buy the console a few accesories (£100 worth) and a new game once a month for 5 years

thats £3149.40

now say a mid run of the mill gaming pc.

take my build an i5 2500k, 8gb ram, 6870x2Xfire with win7

this pc cost me roughly £900 to build, say if i buy a game a month at £34.99 (Cod-BLKOPS2 @ Game.co.uk)

over a five year period its £2999.40

now that may only be £200 difference but a pc of that calibre is already ahead of next gen in my eyes beacuse of gpu price.

these will vary with pre owned games for ps but dont forget steam sales omg! 

Pc should be the future and console should give it up pc has gone way ahead now.

Does anyone know if the PS4 is going to be continueing with there cell processor? That thing is powerful. I'm just hopeing for some better looking PC games once the standard gets increased 10 fold because of the new consoles. And upgradeable harddrives that arent made stupidly like the xbox would be nice also for more space.

But so far the new consoles are outdated and there still ~11 months away thats not a good start. 

If your wanting a console that bad just buy some xbox/ps controllers and make your own computer with a mini atx cases. Same thing with more power larger game base and even if its $100 more than the new xbox's you'll save so much more from the steam sale games. I dont know why computer companies arent pushing that out to compete with the consoles. AHH nvm thats what the steam box is for. OK i guess steam wins this one again. Just gotta get people off the console bandwagon and show them how much greener it is on this side

No more cell.  AMD 64 cpu.