(News) Ubuntu 18.04 might be getting into data collection on an opt out basis

So long as the data is clearly available to everyone it seems alright in it’s current state. I have no doubt if it’s picking up something else someone will notice.

DuckduckGo has survey going on now. I did it and it was painless.

I could understand why manny Linux users would make a huge deal out of this.
Because manny users that are switching away from proprietary Osses like Microsoft Windows10,
or Mac OSX mainly do this for privacy concerns.
And in that regard i can understand that.

However like @Eden also pointed out above,
this information can really be valuable for the evolution of Linux if handled right.

Canonical has business plans, so they need customer data metrics

If they made it opt-in, they wouldn’t get data from those who don’t know/don’t care about this

The Linux users who know+care are capable of opt-out or changing distribution - many probably already have left for some other reason

None of it really matters if they don’t get a good LTS version out this time

It would be better if they made this feuture opt-in indeed.
However in the end its just a silly debate of a simple checkbox or switch,
no matter opt-in or opt-out.

The only thing i have more of an issue with is the popcorn implementation.
Popcorn actually does send telemetry on the apps your are using.
So that they can see what apps are more popular then others.
And on that they might change their software stores.
But Popcorn has been in Ubuntu for a while i guess, atleast it has been in Debian.
And i´m not sure if there exally is a possibillity to totally remove or purge popcorn from the system like apport.

I´m pretty currious about what Ubuntu derivatives are going to do with this.

Yeah, what they said seems innocent to me and i would assume that the people who are against this would probably be against Ubuntu as a whole beforehand. (from my limited experience and hearsay)
The fact that they are releasing all this data is also good so that everyone can profit from it.

1 Like

Opt in and opt out isn’t as straight forward as people like to think. As there’s human factors involved. People are lazy and if they don’t need to do something they won’t. So people who wouldn’t mind this being on still wouldn’t turn it on if it was opt in, a smaller number would actively turn it on.

This would be one of the reasons that pii data collection must be opt in only. Because some people won’t bother when it should probably be an active choice. But this isn’t pii.

3 Likes

If anyone wants to hear the plan from canonical employees, check out the Jupiter broadcasting linux unplugged video out today. They lay out pretty clearly what is going to happen.

1 Like

thanks for the tip
Just posting it here for people
from 6m 20s to 32m

1 Like

Yeah of course it should be opt in for those lazy people,
who dont exally read whats on their screen during installation.

Calm down People, it’s fine !