[News] Linux Exploit: Dirty Cow

Yeah, something just needs to be modified in the script, compiled it for arm but all I got was 'unable to resolve intent' error.

127|shell@hwChe2:/data/local $ am start -a --user=0 cow
Starting: Intent { act=--user=0 pkg=cow }
Error: Activity not started, unable to resolve Intent { act=--user=0 flg=0x10000000 pkg=cow }

Like earlier stated, I know nothing about android, but It's fun to learn.

1 Like

It's really interesting because your exactly right. Considering the importance of the internet you'd think it would be a top priority to use their resources to shut down those massive drone hornets. If they had an exploit for a price of software or hardware and then let it cause the amount of damage the recent ddos have caused, would they be responsible? There remit is to protect us, if they knowingly do the opposite surely that's wrong?

(Not to get too off topic, it's a good discussion though)

Well the world just got darker..

@Eden
Well Europe has his focus on IoT, and trying to make new rules for these devices.
Because they know the danger. Also what worried me journalists getting censored by these exploits.

I have been testing numerous distros in VirtualBox, but still wanted to get entirely comfortable with Mint as my laptop DD, so that any of my relatives who want to get away from Windows, I can just throw Mint on their boxes, with enough confidence to be able to deal with issues that might come up while they are using it.

I also like Ubuntu MATE for a Windows desktop environment alternative, but again, more from the aspect of being the "family IT guy" who has to deal with their broken boxes, if they ever decide on a Linux alternative.

As soon as I can buy yet another external drive to back up the data on my laptop's Mint install, then I'll be able to upgrade or experiment with various distros as full installs to see if my wireless problems carry over to other flavors.

In a few weeks Linux Lite 3.2 will also get out of beta.
If you are looking for a strong Mint compatitor and you like XFCE.
Then you might wanne check that one out aswell.

But i would recommend if you are looking for distro recommendations.
Then you could basicly start a sepperate topic for that if you like.

So, with all the articles I've read, not much has been written as to how this exploit is deployed against a target machine? About the only thing I have seen, is the Red Hat security advisory stating that an; "an unprivileged local user could use this flaw to gain write access to otherwise read-only memory mappings and thus increase their privileges on the system."

Since I am still a "babe in the woods," when it comes to Linux, for my edification, what exactly, does that sentence mean? Does the attacker need to have physical access to the machine to compromise it, or remotely deploy it on a machine that has already been compromised in some other fashion? I guess I need to Google for a glossary of Linux terminology. :-)

Not just physical access, also a server where you can handle remote files

Just a quick side note in case anyone else is experiencing this with the updated kernel and Intel wireless cards. Wireless issue solved. Just had to re-enable transmission antenna aggregation. :-)

echo "options iwlwifi 11n_disable=8" | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/iwlwifi.conf

Not sure if its been posted. Mint users can get info on what version of the kernel they need to upgrade to here

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=232473&p=1232339&hilit=dirty+cow+patch#p1232339

(thanks to goines)

1 Like