News july 14 printer vulnerability question

most of this goes over my head when I hear it, but in the interest of trying to protect myself I figure I would ask here.

I’m on win 7 for various reasons I’m not able to avoid, also not able to update due to various thing I have done and a general disdain for fixing things that aren’t broken, updates have killed so many systems of mine that I just don’t do it till something im doing breaks and needs it, and even then I question if I can live without first.

so i’m looking at what I can do to mitigate this. is just shutting down the print spooler enough? at least that way I can enable when I need to print and shut it down when the need is gone, or is the way to mitigate this more involved and painful?

disabling the spooler service should be ok i guess.

Yeah, disabling the print spooler would do it. If you do need to print from that machine get a raspberry pi and set it up as local print server.

Your best bet is probably just to not have it exposed to the Internet tough. There’s probably a bunch of other things which could have much the same effect on a system of that age even if you don’t get hit with this one.