News cutter new pc

Hi I am replacing my Intel 3930k + gtx 580 with 32GB of ram from 2011/12. I’m working remotely pretty permanently now so my old pc which was fine isn’t now that I’m using it 10 hours a day

I am thinking of going with TRX40 3970x

I think I am settled on the Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme for the dual 10 gig and as I have a blackmagic studio 4k card to go in as well as a satellite card (TBS 6909) for receiving video so not needing to add a 10gig pcie card is nice. There may be some need for pcie bifurcation to be able to add a second blackmagic card. So I will need help finding a case where everything would fit with one would be broken out into multiple pcie. I don’t think I could fit everything otherwise. I could be wrong.

I can’t decide if I need ECC memory. 128GB should be more than enough but I have to order from amazon.co.uk and there doesn’t seem to be great choice available…

For GPU I am also not sure if I should choose a middle segment quadro or a 2080ti or something like that. The programs I use daily are Avid media composer, after effects , casparcg and davinci resolve. All of those would be happy with a non-quadro card and I wouldn’t mind being able to play some games. But I am unsure if the cap of 3 nvenc sessions could ever be an issue for what I’m doing. I don’t have any nvenc at the moment but I’d like to switch to parsec to instead of teamviewer for controlling the editing pcs remotely so I think with everything I will be doing I could very quickly run out of nvenc sessions without quadro. Maybe the answer would be to add a very cheap older quadro with no limit which could handle those things? I need some advice there…

Overall just starting planning so it’s all up in the air at the moment. No real budget either but I’m paying for it as I’m a contractor so it cannot be crazy no budget… :slight_smile:

1 Like

From a 3930k to a 3970x? Boy what a jump!

1 Like

All of the workstations at work are pretty old as well so it’ll be the fastest thing I’ve ever used :smiley:

1 Like

scan.co.uk / overclockers.co.uk and others on skinflint.co.uk don’t work for you? (accounting dept. is screwing with you?)

you’ll have 88 pci-e lanes, I don’t think you’ll need bifurcation

1 Like

Yes something like the latter, ill be paying for it but I’ll be able to get something back using amazon because its on the magic list of websites they like

I’m not sure but I thought bifurcation was where I’d be splitting a physical x8 port into two separate x4 x4 devices? I may have to do that since I’ll have a tonne of pcie devices and a tonne-1 physical slots :smiley: won’t need to do it right away anyway so I can figure it out in time

I’ve skimmed through a lot of threads about it but could someone comment whether I should opt for ECC memory or not? I think I should probably go for it but its very hard to find ecc 32GB udimms?

ECC is nice to have but not a deal breaker IMO. It depends on how sensitive your workflow is to data corruption, but for most workflows it isn’t that big of a deal. More a server thing.

1 Like

I did a good bit of searching on the side while working today and I’ve decided ECC is necessary for me for various reasons. It’s really hard to find what my options are.

I’ve found a lot of SKUs on forums; some of which may meet the criteria I made up from reading random things, 32GB per stick [I want 128GB with the room to expand to 256GB because why not with a 3970x I’ll be keeping for 6+ years], which will run at 3200MHz.
Now to be honest I don’t know the performance difference I will have between 2666 and going over 3000 but there seems to be such a lot of emphasis put on faster ram on Threadripper I’d probably get question-marked by people if I put 2666mhz ram in.

Also noticed a thread on this forum about a 1.1 revision to the Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme so I’ll see what the update is and make sure I’m buying that version.

Some SKU’s of ram I have found, (just to show I’ve done a bit of homework…):
M391A4G43MB1-CTD
MTA18ASF4G72AZ-3G2B1
KSM32RD4/32HDR

Only the latter 2 meets the criteria of 32GB 3200MHz. But it’s ~250 Euro per stick and at this point I can’t even tell if they are the right thing. The price is high but not the end of the world if it can’t be beaten… I’m sure there will be some 2900 ram for cheaper which is identical in quality to the 3200 which could be “overclocked” to be the same. But finding it is another issue

Unfortunately I can’t see anyone recently posting with a similar build who has ECC memory to ask.

Would this ram work?https://www.kingstonmemoryshop.co.uk/image/product_pdf/ksm32ed8-32me.pdf

KSM32ED8/32ME

Seems to tick all the boxes, ecc unregistered 3200mhz and well priced

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.