Newly weds, already having problems

Hey guys, my PC keeps shutting down instantly at random stages, but usually after it has got time to heat up, then it repeatedly does it over and over with much faster intervals that when it first does it. Due to this reaction I was convinced it was either my PSU or CPU. I installed windows 7 home, the problem occured, then I moved onto windows 7 pro, installed that twice, both times had problems aswell. here's my build, I would appreciate some opinions on this. Either way I'm taking it back and asking for a new CPU, this one isn't so great.

Core: AMD AM3+ X6 Fx 6300

Motherboard: Gigabyte 990Fxa-UD3

GPU: Gigabyte R9 280x OC

SSD: Kingston HyperX 120gb

Case: Fractal design R4 Black pearl

RAM 4gb kit 1600 DDR3 Kingston

PSU: Tough power 750

Heatsink: Gammaxx 200

HDD: Seagate SATA3 2TB (x2 mirrored and striped)

So what do you think? Is it a CPU problem or rather software issues? or perhaps something un-thought off like power point issues (no, not the program). Please leave a comment below, anything is seriously appreciated.

Step 1: Make sure all power connections are really connected (24 pin, 8 pin, etc.)

Step 2: Make sure Heat sink is PROPERLY SEATED.

Step 3: Make sure all heat outlets are not blocked. (make sure PSU can exhaust heat)

Step 4: If above steps are followed and the problem persists then maybe it is your PSU.

highly doubt it's a software problem, open temp monitors for cpu, gpu, and motherboard if available, let it heat up till it crashes

post back with temps at crash, if it's none it's probably power supply (return/ rma/ get better one), also gigabyte is known for overheating voltage regulators (reports are it usually just throttles and usually 8 core problems not 6) but if it's that you can just throw a fan on top of them

Interesting problem.  Check your CPU temps and GPU temps.  CPUs usually don't cause these types of problems.  This is often a motherboard or PSU issue.  Make sure your temps are appropriate.  That motherboard should be plenty for that CPU though.

Update: Tested the PSU, everything's plugged in and working fine, no faulty cables or anything. tested with a power meter, sat there for ages testing any sudden changes/spikes.

also why would my GPU temperature matter? It's not a necessary for the computer to keep running.

All my cables have been installed by computer professionals, I didn't build it myself, they've check them twice, so making sure my heatsink is connected properly and all that isn't really an issue. Keep in mind my room is usually about 6 degrees hotter than everywhere else, and I'm in Australia in summer.

also why would my GPU temperature matter? It's not a necessary for the computer to keep running.

If your GPU overheats to a certain point, your PC will shut off. For safety and whatnot.

All my cables have been installed by computer professionals, I didn't build it myself, they've check them twice, so making sure my heatsink is connected properly and all that isn't really an issue.

I fear this may be your problem. Many "professionals" don't know what they are doing, and relying on what they say is never a good Idea.

Do it yourself to be sure.

+1

"professionals"

I bought it through MSY, a store that's so dense with customers I find it hard to believe they have no idea what they're doing, even if majority of their employees where new I still think they would have gone through enough PC's to know what they're doing.

Well apparently not, if you're having problems, lol.

So would you say I would be right to take it back and ask for a refund?

Either that or tell em to fix it up.

Yes! Refund or fix it, or put a better part {whatever} the problem is. Do not settle for something you are not satisfied with especially if it does not work.