New Workstation | Buy Zen 5 EPYC Now or Wait for Zen 5 Threadripper?

It’s be really cool if we saw some 3d v-cache threadrippers this generation but that seems unlikely due no epycs getting 3d v-cache this generation.

If they are the same CCD’s as desktop Zen 5, there’s no technical reason why it can’t be done, but I suspect unless Intel has something competitive, there’s also no business reason to bother :frowning:

I think your right, I was watching a MLID where they seemed to imply that AMD is having bad yeilds with 3d v-cache CCDs and that is why they weren’t put into many products but I take that as a rumor.

Out of curiosity, what do you mean by this? Lots of bugs that went unfixed?

Yeah, I’m curious what he means by that, too.

I’ve been nothing but happy with my Threadripper CPU.

Given how niche Threadripper is, does it make sense to keep the consumer/pro SKU’s separate? Does AMD really save any cost by having to do a whole other package substrate to nerf the TR-pro down to fewer memory channels? Or are they just repackaging the lower-memory channel EPYC SKU’s anyway?

I would have thought motherboard manufacturers could just build 4-channel / low PCIe lane boards for the consumer market that used the full-fat CPUs to save costs. But given that Threadripper motherboards seem to cost more than EPYC ones, is there really much cost-sensitivity among TR customers that are paying $100/core anyway?

It sure seemed like it was Threadripper pro that was the problem child of the most recent Threadripper launch, mainly due to issues with memory speeds; non-pro Threadripper seemed to be able to run memory with less compatibility issues.

My gamer friends call me a filthy casual. lol

If they give you any more of that, simply demand that they 1v1 you in Avid.

1 Like

EPYC 8004 and 9004 documentation indicates for six and 12 memory channel IO dies. Occam’s razor suggests Threadripper gets six channel dies and Threadripper Pro gets 12 channel dies, consistent with the 96 and 128 lane counts.

AMD could have a fourth or fifth IO die (the third being the Ryzen two channel one) but it strikes me as unlikely.

1 Like

I’d look into both Puget Systems and Falcon Northwest TRX50 or Pro TR pre-build systems. Might make more sense than trying to DIY it yourself.

Just reading about Threadripper problems on this forum. If you buy a commercial system, then there is vendor support.

Is there a usual season for Threadripper launches? Are we expecting to see a Lenovo only exclusive again?

Wow guys, another new article saying almost all the same things…

I just wish AMD would give us a timeframe for release. I’m itching to build a new system. lol

3 Likes

I wonder whether we’ll get retail CPU’s and motherboards before we get prices for DGX Stations?

I spent the past several weeks digging through all the options for CPU + motherboard combo for Ryzen, ThreadRipper, and Epyc for Zen 3 / 4 / 5

One of the take-aways was that, especially for the Zen 5 generation, the number of PCIe lanes really does not matter anymore.

Because you most likely will not be able to use them. The vast majority of motherboards, both in the server market and consumer desktop market, have downright awful PCIe slot configurations. Its really baffling. The situation is even worse if you are trying to stick to ATX form factor, I think EATX is the only route that is even close to feasible if you plan to make use of multiple PCIe devices. Since you are doing media work, I suspect that may be the case.

The PCIe slot configurations and offerings for Zen 5 boards are so restrictive and obtuse that you really need to look very carefully at the devices you plan to install in the system, and honestly I would start with the number of PCIe slots you need, find motherboards that match, then work backwards to figure out what CPU options go with it

After wasting so much time trying to find Zen 5 motherboards that can fit e.g. two 2-slot PCIe devices with room for a some extra 1-slot devices, all enthusiasm about Epyc and ThreadRipper are completely gone.


to illustrate what I mean, just take a peek over at the Supermicro motherboard page here

add the filters for Epyc 9005 boards

you got a lot of bespoke weird shaped ones that obv are not very useful, then you got the standard ones like this

https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/motherboard/h13ssl-n

image

5 PCIe slots looks great until you realize that if you are running multiple 2-slot devices, or worse if you have 2.5-slot or 3-slot cards like some modern GPUs, well you just lost half or more of your slots. Meanwhile there’s a boatload of RAM slots you dont actually need taking up like 40% of the space on the board

I guess maybe things over at AsrockRack are a little better if you search for ThreadRipper

https://www.asrockrack.com/general/products.asp#WS

you get a whopping 1 option ;

maybe this board is enough though, the slot selection here is finally respectable, I am just assuming that the ThreadRipper PRO 7xxx is using the same socket as upcoming 9xxx and that the board would eventually get a compatibility update… eventually…

1 Like

What is your primary concern? Highest clock frequency and calculation speed on the cpu cores or just enough support for mulitple gpus?

You don’t need Zen 5 to support multiple gpus. There are plenty of good and cheap solutions for Zen 3 Epyc boards and cpus. If you don’t need lots of cpu cores, choose a low core count part with high clock speeds.

If you want to run the bleeding edge, then the Zen 4/5 Epycs do have a production/clock speed advantage over Zen 3 Epyc cpus. The low core count Zen 4/5 Eypc Genoa/Bergamo/Turin can sustain north of 4Ghz easily while supporting plenty of gpus.

The Asrock Rack GENOAD8X-2T/BCM can support 4 double-wide gpus natively on the board. If you want to run more, then put the motherboard in a mining chassis and load up with 8 or more gpus by bifurcating your slots with 16 lane wide good quality PCIE5 extender cables. There isn’t a PCIE5 Gen 5 gpu yet that can saturate a PCIE5 16 lane slot. Even running at Gen4 8 lanes wide you have headroom.

Consider the Genoa Zen 4 or Turin Zen 5 16 or 24 core parts to keep the cpu cost down and core clock speeds up. The Asus board mentioned doesn’t use up all the board real estate with its limited 8 memory slots. If you aren’t memory contrained, a good solution.

2 Likes

Once you get beyond PCIe gen 4, it’s really not practical to send all those PCIe lanes across PCB to 16x slots. Most of the server boards now seem to use MCIO cables to send 8 lanes at a time to PCIe risers or NVME SSDS…

1 Like

I like the Gigabyte MH53-G40

I’m just hoping when the Threadripper PRO 9000 WX cpu’s drop my distributor isn’t going to require a MOQ until they’re in stock. Cause that will just be a whole second round of waiting.

I would suggest a group buy if that turns out to be the case, but I wouldn’t trust some random person in a forum enough to send that much money and I don’t want the responsibility of handling other people’s money. Not to mention, at least six of us would have to agree on the model to purchase. I just don’t see that happening. lol

I suppose they might only fit 8 DIMM sockets on the Zen5 version, but wouldn’t the new TR’s need a new 12-channel capable socket/pinout like EPYC?

We won’t really know until they release it. The ZEN 4 EPYC CPUs use 12 memory channels, but the ZEN 4 Threadripper PRO CPUs have 8 channels and the standard Threadripper ZEN 4 CPUs are quad channels.

From what I have read, which could or could not be true, they’re going to use the current motherboards. So, that would make me think they’re going to carry over the memory channel configurations.

But, as I said, we won’t know until they at least release the specifications.

2 Likes