New Work Station 2 Xeon E5 v3 OR wait till the New AMD chips come out

I've build quite a few computers but never a work station. Currently I'm running an AMD FX-8350 on a ASUS Sabertooth 990FX 32 gig mem and solid state drives. I do very little gaming but i do quite a bit of video capture with a huppauge HDPVR-2 and conversion to different formats. The programs i use need Windows and eat CPU cores. I also run Autodesk programs and many of those at the same time which do the same. After watching Wendell turn an old server into a gaming rig i started thinking that instead of doing the same things again should i build an actual workstation this time. Because my programs are very CPU intensive. I wouldn't be building this till sometime next year but i like to get as much info as i can before i decide on hard ware. Now the question is should i build a Xeon Work station with older Chips or wait till AMD Zen Server chips come out and revisit the issue. I'm looking to cut my render and Conversion times down. I would like to run Linux Ubuntu Gnome and windows as a virtual machine so tons of cpu cores will be key. Any help would be great. Just want to get the most out of this machine.

If Zen will be as nice as the Opterons back at their release, then Zen will be much better suited for Autodesk software than Xeons.
It depends on your use case. I expect AMD to once again put chips out that succeed in mutlithreaded loads.

1 Like

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

1 Like

Well I'm looking to upgrade and I do a lot of heavy high end 3D work, and I'm waiting to see what the AMD Server parts are like, because I'm hoping I can grab 2x of their Zen CPUs and have a giggle ton of cores, plus two of their new Radeon pro line, and also pray that SSD GPU memory thing they have, that they'll do smaller cheaper versions of it. Mari will thank me kindly. But if it fails, I guess I'll be doing another Dual Xeon CPU with a Quadro/GTX combo build.

1 Like

I would recommend sticking with Intel Workstation/server grade parts simply because the it might take sometime for motherboard manufactures to have DDR4 on the AMD Zen series boards. Perfect example AsRock and Gigabyte have recently updated the AM3+ Motherboards to include M.2, Sata Express and USB 3.1 Type A and Type C. And some of that technology has been available for at least 1 to 2 years on Intel.

Getting back on Track, go intel Xeons and maybe both Nvidia Geforce GPU and Quadro GPU.

1 Like

This build probably wont happen till sometime in 2017 anyways. The Boss (Wife) may shoot me if i go buy new computer parts before taxes get done. lol. There is a lot of leaked info about Zen and we all know we have to take that with a grain of salt. But if half of it is true it is probably worth the wait. But running what i do it sounds like my thinking is correct and now its just a wait and see.

Thanks for the input.

That might have taken so long because the AM3+ socket is older than the recent intel sockets and chipsets?
What kind of a point is this?!

"It takes longer to integrate new tech into old systems, therefor AM4 boards will not be released until 2019.", or how am I supposed to read that?

If that is the case wait ? See if Zen can prove itself.

2 Likes

IMO Zen is the better choice if for desktop usage, those cheap Xeon chips on ebay uses a bunch of power.
So if it is a computer you'll be using many hours a day the power bill saving would deffinetly be noticeable.
If you just need a computer you use for the random rendering, or what not deffinetly go for the dual Xeon system, but for long hours of gaming and such id choose the ZEN.

1 Like

I don't really expect Zen to beat the middle to higher end Xeon parts in terms of performance but the price will probably be lower. If you need to upgrade today, grab a dual xeon rig, you can't go wrong with that. If you wait, you might have a good option in the Zen lineup but I wouldn't depend on it. Intel hasn't slowed down in the Xeon lineup like they have on the mainstream desktop, the amount of performance you gain generation over generation has been nothing to scoff at. For example, the Xeon 2650, has gained 2 cores every generation from Ivy-Bridge forward. Going from 8 to 12 cores.

1 Like

rumor is AMD has a release in 2 weeks or less. dont know whats going to drop dont know if its going to drop this soon. but it is possible that we could see our first AM4 boards. and we could see the first processors in the weeks to follow.

1 Like

I merely was point out the fact that AM3+ (AMDs Performace Chipset) has been very slow to be updated. And even once these new technologies were put on the boards they are controlled by 3rd party.

For AM4, support for M.2, DDR4 and NVM has been confirmed by Lisa Su.
Depending on price, the 24 core Zen might be a nice option for this use case.

Personally, that's something I'd want for my next build as I'd rather not take up PCIe space using the PCIe adaptor ones. I was looking at Asus workstation motherboards last night just out of being curious and I saw they have the plugs for it on the actual motherboard, one of the programs I use puts all it's texture data onto disk using LRU (Mari) so the quicker it can pull the texture data from the drive, the faster the program works, even translating into viewport performance in FPS.

Maybe get a lot of RAM and create a RAM-disk then.
I imagine texture fetchting is like high-level mathematics on memory.

Yeah, it dose some fancy stuff, it's how models for movies are able to have such high resolution textures on them, so it dose some tricky between moving it from GPU memory to HD cache, I thought about RAM disk, I mean right now in my workstation I have 64 gigs, my only worry would be counting the amount of texture data I was using inside my program itself RAM wise, then also counting the disk cache things could get rather big quickly. An asset I did lately it had 8GB worth of texture data, and it was rather a simple object at 8k texture size, so I'd really need to get a very very large amount of RAM, but then cost would play a factor when a M.2 drive could be a lot cheaper option without investing in really high amounts of RAM. It'd depend if the performance boost would be worth in investment.

That's why this AMD GPU SSD thing they're doing is rather interesting for using applications like this, that's why I hope they make smaller versions of it, like 120, 240, ect. Also on the note of that, a lot of tech channels talking about it seem to miss the point of what it's for completely, luckily @wendell managed to touch correctly on the subject in one of The Teks about what it'd be used for in the realm of 3D work. Not for actual rendering, but for caching large texture data, or effects data. At least he was in the ball park.

I know, the high RAM amount workstations are expensive as hell.
For the RadeonPro SSG: That sounds like AMD is going for modular add-in components. One card for memory, two for computing for example. That would make my job easier!

Oh I've been keeping an eye out on everything that has been reported about the new AMD. I know there will be a few bugs when they are first shipped out there always is. So by the spring of next year those will be ironed out. Also by then there should be enough info about the server chips to compare them.

I just hope they design it so the memory is exposed to the system like an SSD for instance, so programs can pick where to cache their memory, like in Photoshop for instance you can pick a place for the memory to cache to, same with a lot other content creation programs. If they don't and it has to be coded in by the Dev themselves that could lead to some issues, because the Pro market has very heavy ties to nVidia for obvious reasons, but that's leading on to another subject.

AMD outperforming the nice haswell v3 xeons seems unlikely. The will probably compete with the slower ones.