New wireless headphones for, help me choose!

Haha as a developer it does not matter, people do it here all the time.

Hmm ok I have only one question then, does it remember the last ANC setting? My WF doesn’t and always have it on when you start them so you have to click the touch pads twice to change to turn it off which takes a few seconds everytime and is annoying af.

What do you mean?

I don’t use the feature, but basically lets say your commute to work daily starts at a loud bus station (I know, the before times, but its just a theoretical!), the headphones will automatically adjust noise canceling while located at the bus station, then once you are home, they will know scale back the effects, etc…

The noise cancelling these have cut out a lot more than just low freq from all I can tell. Have set off the fire detector cooking bacon (had to move that detector) and it took a while to realize I could hear something odd. It also cuts out my dremel, which isn’t exactly low pitched when cutting through metal.

Also, the mic item may be due to people connecting to two devices and then using the mic to talk? Think that would cut the bandwidth on the device you are using the mic with in half? Not certain on that though.

1 Like

The headphones app (at least on iPhone) can be used to basically change profile based on GPS location obtained from your phone.

I don’t use it, but it is a thing you can do.

I believe they remember the last ANC setting, but not sure to be honest. I always use ANC on, unless someone wants to talk to me, I think if you pair/control via the app, it will remember the settings you had in the app. Not sure if it remembers across device pairings.

Changing mode is merely a button press on the left can if you want to change it.

1 Like

All of this sounds good. But are there still issues that are mentioned here? Doesn’t seem to work well with win 10: https://www.reddit.com/r/sony/comments/jc03y5/wh1000xm4_stutters_and_is_not_usable_on_a_pc_but/

I had some issues with Windows 10 shortly after purchase, but it was a windows update that broke my entire bluetooth stack a few months ago (April-May, maybe?), and none of my other bluetooth stuff (e.g., Microsoft Xbox Series X controller) worked either. The next month’s Windows update fixed it.

Outside of that, i’ve run them with Windows, Mac, iPad and iPhone no problem.

I’d be blaming bluetooth on windows being a complete shit show rather than the sony headphones personally.

Fall back to 3.5mm jack is available if you do run into that shit with Windows.

Hmm ok… feels Kinda pointless paying extra for wireless if you use wire anyway. Maybe the surface 2 headphones are a safer bet if you use pc a lot.

Honestly i’m starting to consider just buying regular wired headphones at this point. There are just to many issues with wireless.

I’ll check them out with Win10 again this evening, i’m gonna be running through windows updates.

The only times i use the wire are for the switch (fuck you nintendo, let me pair bluetooth), the Oculus Quest 2 (you too, facebook!), and win10 when it was broken. I don’t use it with the PC a heap, but it was working fine aside from the patch debacle that broke my bluetooth entirely

1 Like

Yeah thanks. I might add that I work as an consultant so I change laptops like every year. Sometimes its older, somtimes newer and sometimes on old windows updates because of policy restrictions. So there is also a risk.

I think you’ll run that risk with any bluetooth headphones with Windows. Like i said, the update broke my xbox controller too, until MS fixed it next month.

I just tried connecting my WF-1000XM3 to my laptop thst has BT5. They only seem to work in “headset mode” and sound like trash. The quality is on par of what you get when waiting in phone queues.

Of what could gather, I should be able to switch between audio devices, but I only have headeset mode: https://www.reddit.com/r/sony/comments/fqf71z/wh1000xm3_can_only_use_stereo_or_handsfree_but/

Using my WH-1000XM4 right now in win10 for youtube and they sound like they normally sound on my mac, iphone, etc. right now?

On-board bluetooth on an Asrock X470 Taichi

Gaming also fine, sounds perfect.

Yeah you have 2 sound devices though. I wonder if the WF and WH differ in that regard. If you switch to Hands free AG audio it should sound really bad.

As BT seems to be crap for PC overall at the moment I am considering getting maybe a pair of “gaming” headphones instead that use USB receivers.
The Audeze Penrose looks quite compelling with both a receiver, detachable mic, low weight and you can use the receiver and BT at the same time so potentially I could use it with my laptop and phone! The only thing about them are that the design is not very…professional looking, it would be embarrasing using them at the office I think. Also the battery life is on the low side of 15 hours but that is managable.

Then I discovered Corsair RGB Wireless Virtuoso XT. It has many of the same features as Penrose, looks better but is heavy at 382g.

Edit:

Finally managed to fix the BT issue by running:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

sfc /scannow

I finally bought the Jabra Elite 85H as I got it for a good price. Its really nice not being tied to the desk anymore and the it has a lot of great features. Sound is okay, not the best by any means but for background music and meetings its fine.

However I don’t think they are particular comfy. Closed back style tends to heat up my ears significantly and the pressure on the head is not pleasant at all. I’m considering buying a par of open back headphones instead now but there doesn’t seem to be much to choose from.