New to pc gaming and need help choosing a gpu

Hi I'm Toby and i used to play Xbox but now I've decided to go to PC, I have a budget of £1700 and i'm stuck on what gpu i should get. any help is appreciated. :)

if you can convert this to american $$ then some of us can help you out. other than that it's just preference from AMD or nvidia. both offer good things but they also have their bad sides.

I would prefer nvidia but not massively bothered which one i get, £1700 = $2751.62, i was looking at either gtx 770/780

that helps. i'd go for broke with that budget and get the 780. Assuming the rest of your parts list can hold up to the new game hungry 780. some build list that I can come up with would have an x79, but for a gamer's pc only i'd go with the z87 or the z77. choice is mainly yours 

CPU: - Intel Core i5 4670K
CPU Cooler: - Corsair H60 2013 Water Cooler
Operating System: - Windows 8 (64-bit)
Motherboard: - Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H
Memory: - 8GB Corsair 1600mhz Vengeance (2x4GB)
Hard Drive: -  Samsung 120GB 840 SSD S-ATAIII 6.0Gb/s
Additional Storage: 6028 - 1TB S-ATAIII 6.0Gb/s
Optical Drive: - 22x DVD±RW DL S-ATA
Graphics card: - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Phantom
Sound card: - Onboard 7.1 Audio
Case: - Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl
PSU - 650W Corsair VS

the i5 would hold the 780 back a bit... but i haven't played with intel for a few years now. if your budget allows the 4770k i'd go for that. Also, look into win7 instead of win8.. I know it sounds odd that MS is forcing all pre-made pc's with it but win 7 has nearly every program ported to it with no issues what so ever. Just like the polished version of xp but with more settings to control 

I can get 4770k, and what do you think about the Asus Maximus VI Hero motherboard/what do you recommend ?  

you should be fine with it, but it's preference. I usually look at the more up to date reviews on any type of tech and form there i choose accordingly 

thanks for help, looking forward to being a PC gamer :D