New to anime

I would recommend first to go to Hulu.com or Chrunchyroll.com  to watch anime when it comes out. Then i would like to ask you which genre or anime/manga do you personally like ? Do you like SiFi, Fantasy, Drama, Comedy, Romance, or Supernatural/Horror. It all depends what you like. 

Personally i really enjoy: Naruto, Bleach, DBZ, Attack on Titan, Death Note, Soul Eater, Inuyasha, Full Metal Alchemist, Fate Zero, Sword Art Online, Cowboy Bepop, Yu Yu Hakusho, Samurai Champloo and the list goes on.

Honestly i beleive that the "Golden Age" of Anime/Manga was during the early to late 1990s so anything around that time is really good. But don't get me wrong there are a lot of "New School" animes that are really good.

Also if you if like a certain anime series most of them have movies too which sometimes add to the overall story but, there are also a lot indepent Anime Movies like Howl's Moving Castle, Akira (recently watched it amazing !), Afro samurai, Princess Mononoke and etc.

I hope this open the doors to a new source of entertainment for you ! ^_^ Good Luck and Happy viewing !

5 Centimeters Per Second

Afro Samurai

Afro Samurai Resurrection

Ah! My Goddess

Air Gear

Akira

Ano Natsu de Matteru

Another

Archer 1-3

Azumanga Daioh

Baccano!

Bakemonogatari

Berserk

Birdy the Mighty Decode

Black Lagoon Complete Season

Bleach

Blood+

Blood-The Last Vampire

Boku wa Tomodachi Ga Sukunai

Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan

Break Blade

Canaan

CHOAS;HEAD

Claymore

Code Geass

Darker than Black

DBZ Abridged

Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko

Dragon Ball GT

Dragonaut The Resonance

Dragonball Z [DBNL]

Elfin Lied

Evangelion 1.11 - You Are (Not) Alone

Fate - Stay Night

Fate - Zero

Final Fantasy VII Advent Children

Freezing

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood

Ghost in the Shell 'The Laughing Man'

Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 1st GIG 'Solid State Society'

Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG 'Individual Eleven'

Girls Bravo

Grave Of The Fireflies

Gravitation

Grenadier

Gun Slinger Girl

Gundam 00

Gurren Lagann Complete Series

H.O.T.D.(Highschool of the Dead)

Heaven's Lost Property (1080)

Heaven's Lost Property Fort

Hellsing

Hellsing Ultimate OVAs

Hetalia - Axis Powers

Hidan No Aria

High School of the Dead

Higurashi

Howls Moving Castle

Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls

Ikkitousen Battle Vixens

Ikkitousen Dragon Destiny

Invader Zim

Jin-Roh The Wolf Brigade

Kampfer Complete -needs second season

Kanokon

kanokon DVD [480p]

Kimi ni Todoke

Love Hina

Loveless

Lucky star

Macross Frontier

Madoka Magica

Mirai Nikki

MM!

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind

Occult Academy

Ore no Imoto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai

Origin~Spirits of the Past

Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt (Complete)

Paprika

Perfect Blue

Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea

Queen's Blade

Revolutionary Girl Utena Complete Series

Riding Bean (1989)

Rosario + Vampire

Rosario+Vampire Capu

Samurai Champloo

Sankarea - waiting for second season

School Days

Shangri-La

Soul Eater

Steins Gate

Summer Wars

Sword of the Stranger

Tatakau Shisho - The Book of Bantorra

Team Four Star - DBZ Abridged

The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya

To Aru Kagaku No Railgun

To Aru Majutsu No Index

To Love-Ru

Tokyo Underground

Toradora!

Wonderful Days

Zero no Tsukaima

Zone of the Enders

Acchi Kocchi

Angel Beats

Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai

Blood-C

Btooom!

Chobits

Clannad

Dead Space - Aftermath

Deadman Wonderland

Death Note

Durarara!!

Ergo Proxy

Full Metal Panic

Full Metal Panic-Fumoffu

Guilty Crown

Haiyore! Nyaruko-san

Hellsing

Hellsing Ultimate 01-08

Hyouka

Kannagi Crazy Shrine Maidens

Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate

La storia della Arcana Famiglia

Mahou Sensei Negima

Pretty Cure

Psycho Pass

Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo

Senyuu

Shakugan no Shana Complete

Shiki

Spice and Wolf

The Skull Man

Upotte!!

Zero No Tsukaima Complete

And alot of others I would recommend but thats just what iv watched

Ok the editing bugged me so i fixded it.. sorta

Everyone here has given some great choices in anime. I have a list of the series I have watched and how well i liked them if you want to check it out. http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Crowman

Hmmm, I Don't watch that much anime (don't see very many good ones/ones that interest me. 

Ones I can recommend however are:

Wolf's Rain - fantastic, depressing (yet hopeful) end, gory but in an actiony way, not needless   Lesser known but a classic IMO  Leaves you wanting more

Blue Sub No.6 - adult anime for sure (some nudity/blood ect) but still very good.  I think this was the first anime I actually saw beginning to end now that I think of it.  A Classic in my opinion.

Soul Eater - great, very halloweeny which I love, humor all that.

Girls Und Panzer - Really only watched this out of curiosity about the hub-bub but it's not too terrible.  Tanks are awesome and the Katyusha song scene was pretty awesome I'll admit.  WOT: The Anime in a nutshell.

Some stuff that may or may not technically be anime but i'll throw it out there:

Studio Ghibli anything

Yobi the Five Tailed Fox

Nichijou

I'm sure there's more though I tend to stay away from Naruto, High School of the Dead, Echii stuff, or things needlessly violent (HIGURASHI I'M LOOKING AT YOU) as well as anything too.....fluffy with some exceptions

Just throwing my opinion out there, I suggest reading Manga if its something you enjoy, there are some anime that I love, code geass, attack on titan, and any other series I wanted to a see a fight in lol. But I tend to lean towards manga much more because its much much much farther ahead in ongoing series and it makes anime that much more fun in my opinion.

Second comment... who's getting a cheap ps3 to hack so they can grab JVictory Vs.? If you dont know what this is and love anime and manga.... go here.... GO HERE NOW!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNT7LiADNx8&list=WLi8gxpdxZ1LoodGSrxo76xgzSbvM2yHZF

lol anyway its a video game fighter with lots of main jump series. Anyways... thats my two cents for ya, manga first... unless u just wanna relax and kick back and watch some epicness fly by across le tv lol

My personal favorite manga is rurouni kenshin, anime is ok but after the second arc it falls to pieces, the anime passed up the manga after the second arc and went to pot in the end lol, but its got a great story, well developed main character as well asa great story

but... but.... atla is not an anime 

the prequel  OVA they made was so good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rurouni_Kenshin:_Trust_%26_Betrayal

I would reccomend reading Deadman Wonderland, as the anime isnt finished and it might not be finished. I love this manga. I personally prefer manga, as its easier to stop reading halfway through a chapter compared to halfway through an episode.

I can say my Crunchyroll account is some of the best money I have ever spent.

if you like comedy and action i recommend watching full metal panic

if you like comedy and action i recommend watching full metal panic