Microsoft is being like Google

Hello world,

I wanted to reform this thread to overall being angry and frustrated about Microsoft and its attitude to any of the customers.

Below the original post.

I’m currently in a project for a larger company +10000 employees. And people are slowly switching the the “new” Microsoft Teams. Because quite many users are not using an external mouse (and some don’t use the mouse fully), we have users complaining about not being able to scroll in the app because the scroll bar disappears after a while.

Is anyone else experiencing this? I have to tell users to start using the scroll wheel on a mouse or the two-finger-scroll on a touchpad.

see you later space cowboy

2 Likes

That is solid material for the tech cringe topic.

My “new” Teams is working fine from what I can tell. The scroll bar on the side disappears in a chat thread only if I don’t have my cursor there. Does the same with the chat list on the left. Pretty normal behaviour from an absolute dumpster fire of a program.

Yea, but it doesn’t re-appear without scrolling, which I find is absolutely dumb because in Firefox it does reappear.

So weird, I’m not seeing this issue. I’m running the 24004.1307.2669.7070 version. Could it be due to the laptops being a bit too dated? Some issues with power management on battery and reduced 3D performances that make it disappear and not reappear?

We have 2020-2023 laptops, laptop is a Dell something and is running ac all the time.
I got the Teams version 24004.1307.2669.7070 client version 49/2410419128, updated few hours ago.
huh, seems like they fixed it today. The bar doesn’t disappear and it is now the same size as Teams.

1 Like

have you noticed that clicking a name in the sidebar no longer activates the text box to start typing? if you click a name and start typing the ui thinks you’re hitting shortcuts.

I wrote an ahk macro for a LARGE org to “submit feedback” and the front line people have probably submitted the same complaint to microsoft about 3000 times now. “pls. auto put cursor in texbox for names. pls. pls!!!”

1. no one at microsoft is using this product seriously
  2. just make teams as fast, thoughtful and responsive as discord. seriously. you have something to look at. it can be done. I don’t have to say “make it as fast responsive and thoughtful as irc, but with gifs” I can point to discord, a modern app, that is better in every measurable way. teams is an absolute disgrace.

in my alternate universe someone on the discord team is working for ms actively sabotaging their product from within, getting their jollies from making the ui as awful as possible in subtle yet highly annoying ways.

4 Likes

Interesting, I don’t have that, the message box gets activated. I used to have the issue in 2020 that the app would be slow that I’d already typed half a sentence before the message box appeared and I’d have to rewrite.

For a long time I’ve wanted to make something better than both of them, as Discord is getting quite bloated and suspicious. How are they allowing people just upload endless amounts of files and data onto their servers. How is it viable, unless they sell every piece of data and or get massive amount of money.

I’m having issues with both of them on my Linux anyway that I might just use revolt or whatever is self hosted, for our company going forward. I could also then just have integration bots to other apps like Slack, Teams, Discord.
The issues usually being that the website stops receiving the webrtc and the webapp reloads.

Not the same issue but still relevant. Teams has an addin in Outlook that allows users to create Teams meetings in Outlook.
Well this addin has been breaking and before that the Lync addin since 2018 or something. Now we recently got the issue again and the fix I’ve been applying was to reinstall Teams, to the latest version.

It drives me nuts that it force replaced teams and outlook without prompting for my input. Lately I am finding teams will literally just close and auto update in the middle of using it. It’s rude…

This is what I don’t understand. It’s genuinely baffling how a company with virtually infinite resources can’t solve the problem of sending text over the internet in 2024.

perhaps Microsoft should read discords blog: How Discord Stores Trillions of Messages

For the longest time teams still had some skype strings in the process list…

and why oh why doesn’t it locally cache the chat logs?! why every time I scroll up does it have to re-pull from the server? ridiculous…

1 Like

Fun I find that Skype for Business is still packaged in the Office package.
If you didn’t know, Skype for Business was shut down in 2020 completely and some extensive support ended 2021.

At my current customer we have the issue with Sharepoint Online search not working properly and this has been going on about since December. Word translation tool is also not working since October or something.

I also did see that Azure renamed many of the tools, we still call it AAD instead of Entra.

Windows 11, it takes me about a minute to open file explorer on my work laptop. The start menu takes up a third of my screen with not even all the apps that I could easily scroll through on win10. Maybe with the Windows Live team it finally could look uniform in 5 or so years. And why is control panel still a thing…

It just feels like the company is regressing…

Microsoft constantly renaming and relocating tools has been such a pain. Even when you try to find where stuff re-located, the articles on the MS site are from like 2 re-locations ago… then you sometimes have to spend 2-3 clicks to open a “classic” version of an interface because they haven’t moved things to the “new” area yet… it’s such a mess and I only deal with it on a surface level. I can’t imagine those that have to deal with it daily.

3 Likes

Agile value: “We value working software over documentation.”

Oh, wait… microsoft fails to satisfy either side of the disjunction…

2 Likes

“But the documentation is on github, file an issue with it and we’ll triage it.” :yay:

2 Likes

I still don’t know why they developed Powershell instead of CMD, and from the discussion I had with them, PS wasn’t supposed to replace CMD either, so we just have two terminals now? It’s like nobody has a plan there.

Imagine having more than one shell supported by the OS, right?
Oh, wait… (bash, dash, ash, zsh, ksh …)

AFAICT pwsh wasn’t meant to replace cmd, because of the lack of backwards compatibility, but anyone who’s writing .bat scripts past ~2010 is bat-shit crazy :wink:

2 Likes

Powershell is fine. Slow, but fine.

Teams is an unmitigated disaster. Someone who is allocated to us from Microsoft mentioned they have multiple code bases.

1 Like

+1 For the slowness I’ve had decent results deploying cmdlets to both Windows and Linux (compile once and xcopy). Trying to go the opposite direction with WSL2 has been a total fail. Not that PowerShell’s lacking for issues I consider fairly stupid, but at least it’s got code velocity. In comparison the WSL2 team seems nonexistent.

If you haven’t already, see the Monad manifesto. Kind of a classic example of Microsoft’s organization being more a bunch of teams selling their ideas to senior management than a single entity with coherent leadership.

I would have them all installed at the same time.

Zsh is for ballers.