New Ryzen PC build, who this?

Hello guys,

I have just built myself a new PC and it’s almost ready. This is the first one in 6 years so I don’t really know all the new stuff about this gen so I would like to ask you guys some tips and things I have to do once installed. I have already installed the parts I got (List below) and I’m getting idle temps of about 45 C average with spikes of ~10 C in idle (really strange) and reaching 70 - 75 in full stress. I did get the chipset from AMD’s site as I’ve seen suggested on many forums and also running the Ryzen Balanced power plan. With this new architecture from AMD I do not know what temps I should be expecting and if anyone can point out some settings I have to do in the BIOS regarding temps and memory frequencies I would really appreciate them :smile:

I am planning on getting a new GPU, in a month or two since I ran out of money.
Here is a list of what I already bought (combined with my old PC parts) :

• Thermaltake View 27, Middle Tower Case

• 3 x 120 mm Antec Rainbow and 1 x Thermaltake 120 mm

• Thermaltake Contact Silent 12 CPU Cooler

• 500W Power source (I don’t remember the brand and I’ve already set it up and I’m lazy to dig it out)

• 16 GB (2x8) Corsair Vengeance 3000 MHz DDR4

• AMD Radeon ™ R7 360 Series 2 GB GDDR5

• AMD Ryzen 5 1600X Six-Core Processor

• MSI B350 Pro Gaming Carbon (Updated to last version of Bios)

• SSD Kingston A400 120GB SATA 2.5inch SA400S37/120G(OS)

• HDD Western Digital WD RE4 WD5003ABYX 500GB (Games)

Here are some pics of the setup, it looks way better at night ofc

3 Likes

With a Ryzen 7 1700 (65w) at stock base clocks with a boost set to 3.7ghz I get 30 to 35° with the stock cooler at idle and 60 to 70° under load. My fan speeds are 30% under 60° and increase to 100% up to 80°.

Otherwise, I used an aftermarket non-conductive thermal paste from noctua, wich I know helps a bit.

My ram is set at 3200Mhz (wich is only stable since the last motherboard update I did, I own an ASRock AB350 Pro4), so, you ram speed should be a non issue.

Another thing I like to do is to have 2 exausts fans for 3 intake fans. It’s a bit overkill but airflow is a big deal when you want your rig to stay silenced. I’m not sure if your case can get another fan, but, it could be an option to keeps your temps a bit lower for longer.

With that case those temps are basically the norm. That case has bad airflow.

As @Hako suggested, bad airflow. Try runnning it open air for a time? Get a baseline, compare, report back.

1 Like

I also use the 1600x, 16gb lpx 3000 and an msi board.
I use a 240 aio on mine purely so the fan curve stays on position 1. Anything under 60 degrees C I’m at 20% fan speed