New phone for family member (200 USD)

Hello,
I am in need of recommendations as I do not follow the smartphone market at all.

Family member needs phone. Budget is 1000 zł or 200 USD.
Previously was using a Samsung Galaxy M21.

Old phone specs:

> Samsung Exynos 9611 (4 cores, 2.3 GHz, A73 + 4 cores, 1.7 GHz, A53)
> Mali-G72 MP3
> 4 GB RAM
> 6.4" screen
> 6000 mAh
> Android 10
> Headphone jack

Requirements from the person paying for new phone:

> Good camera
> Good battery life
> Headphone jack

I was thinking that the new phone should have Android 11 (for longer software support) and not worse specs than the Samsung.

I came up with Xiaomi Redmi Note 10S:

> MediaTek Helio G95 (2 cores, 2.05 GHz, Cortex A76 + 6 cores, 2.0 GHz A55)
> Mali-G76 MC4
> 6 GB RAM
> 6.43" screen
> 5000 mAh
> Android 11
> Headphone jack

I am lost in phone specs, the numbers don’t mean anything to me. I am kindly asking for your suggestions.

Best regards,
Poor family tech support

Your choice looks very reasonable given the requirements.

I had roughly similar requirements recently to fulfill, went with a very low budget, still decent camera, good battery specs and Android 11: Nokia G10

> Octa-core (4x2.0 GHz Cortex-A53 & 4x1.5 GHz Cortex-A53)
> Mediatek Helio G25
> 3 GB RAM
> 6.5" screen
> 5050 mAh
> Android 11
> Headphone jack
> 13 MP Main camera (+ 2MP Depth, Macro, 8 MP front)

Have to say so far it has been doing well, sometimes loads a program half a second.
lots of cons though: Battery does not do fast charge and you replace it easily, only 2G Ram…

Still wanted to throw it in here to maybe even get some additional feedback from other members for personal education/suggestions and give insight into what others have chosen recently.

1 Like

Thank you for the suggestion.
I got a few more from IRL friends:

Samsung Galaxy M22
Motorola G50
Xiaomi POCO X3 PRO (over budget)

I’d say go with the Motorola. They might not be the best for the price but they damn work and never had people bug me because they’re acting up or being too slow after a while.
I have had a couple too and currently using the Moto X4 since 2018.

So, due to this, I’d say avoid any Xiaomi/Oppo phone. The chinese ROMs like to play games sometimes and notifications don’t go through, they tend to act up, have quadrillion of useless features and settings under three layers of sub menus.

I’m biased and this is my experience. I hope it helps!

2 Likes

I’ll second the Moto G<whatever>. I’ve been using them since just after the original model X and they’re close to stock Android and durable. Plus they include a variety of hardware configurations for different price points.

2 Likes

Those are the best type of comments!
Thank you @MetalizeYourBrain and @Inhibit

2 Likes

Hi!

I’ve done the same search for a family member recently and also came up with the motorola g60 as the best option. Not least becaus both my girlfriend and I have had good experience with motorola in the past.