New PC Shooter goes back to shooter roots

A new PC shooter is emerging from a new studio called "Reakktor" and it's taking shooters back to the old days of Unreal Tournament.

Enjoy the video.

Excited?  So am I :)

Looks like Unreal Tournament with the addition of Halo style vehicles. If it offers more than just death match type game play it could be interesting. 

Not my fav FPS style but I'm glad an FPS went back to this style it could be a fun casual game for me.

commercial looks nice. a little homage to quake 3 with the player frozen in the air. 

Looks alright.  Gave me a bit of a Tribes flashback lol.

This is my kind of game. It does kind of look like a ripoff of UT at times to me though.

I think the movement is the hardest thing to do in these types of games. Quake 3 nails that and visual fidelity which sounds odd but in these modern arena reboots there are explosions everywhere that obstruct vision pointlessly. I see little reason to play a game like this when quake live is free and perfect.

I think the movement is the hardest thing to do in these types of games. Quake 3 nails that and visual fidelity which sounds odd but in these modern arena reboots there are explosions everywhere that obstruct vision pointlessly. I see little reason to play a game like this when quake live is free and perfect.

Hope it comes to steam  Im sharing this with my list.

Looks interesting.  Little confused about the "No Free to Play" at the end...so is it or isn't it?

It's not F2P. F2P is seen by the higher echelon, if you will, as pay 2 win rather than skill-based. This is false as I will explain below.

The problem I have with the game from this trailer is twofold.

1) It just looks like they JUST crossed Unreal Tournament and Halo and did nothing else. If people are going to pay money for this; likely 60 dollars; it had better be more than just a clone of those two games.

2) Further, Arena FPS's aren't being made anymore because we already have the greatest arena FPS. It's called Quake Live. No game is going to be as balanced and precise as a game that has been considered the definitive game within the e-sports fps scene for a decade. Quake Live is F2P, and there's nothing wrong with that. Your ability to win is not affected in the slightest by your decision to pay or not. All that you get are additional maps and game modes. Further, F2P is really only seen as derogatory within the MMO genre. Although it has been problematic in others, it isn't much of an issue in FPS games.

Just as long as there's a railgun, rocketjumping, and grapple hooks then full speed ahead.

It looks a tad bit slow to me but I am still down.

I would play it!

If they are really doing a old-school style shooter then I am hoping they add a LAN multiplayer mode to it. That would really give rise to nostalgia!!!

It does give off that vibe. But honestly, it's hard NOT to make a scifi shooter resemble Halo when everyone is wearing plated space armor and shit.

I'm really curious to see if this game will actually develop a thriving community. And I'm anticipating UT4 since Epic is finally wholeheartedly considering the PC gaming scene by involving the community in its development (by even letting them assist in the development), making it PC exclusive, and making it truly free to play; as in, without the shitty F2P model that a lot of other shooters like Tribes Ascend and Planetside 2 have.

If UT4 shapes up right, and Epic holds true to their word, then I feel like UT4 can be a major comeback for old school arena FPS. Quake Live is legendary, but that doesn't mean all other arena FPS games are automatically shitty. It also doesn't mean it's invulnerable. If you got a team of veteran old school FPS developers (like UT4's team has) and involved the competitive scene in its development, you could easily make a game that would top Quake Live and be unique at the same time.

their version of the BFG is pretty neato.

I think if UT4 is either going to go its own separate way with regard to Arena FPS, or it will largely mimic Quake Live.

It is extremely unlikely that any game will be able to compete with Quake Live in the e-sports scene without completely copying it because the game is pretty much the evolution of competitive FPS. The game is the result of 10 years of professional gaming criticism and scrim matches. Suffice it to say, if you get advice from pro players, they're going to say "make it more like Quake Live" because they're responsible for the way that game has become.

The fact that UT4 is going to be truly F2P is astounding. I love this and hope for the best. I just worry that if they try to take it in a serious e-sports direction, we're just going to see another Quake Live, and if they don't take it in that direction, we're just going to see another UT3 where the game is forgotten in a few months.