New PC: Gaming, Looking Glass

Hello,

yesterday my 5 Year old PC died, time for a new one.
Suggestions, corrections are appreciated.

• Budget - 1.500 €
  • Country - Germany
  • No Case, Storage, Peripherals, Monitor needed
  • I don’t intent to overclock if I don’t have to.
  • Air cooling is preferred
  • Mainly used for Gaming
    1080p, I’m aiming for >80FPS, ideally 144FPS

Partspicker
Partspicker(edited)

Will my 500W PSU be enough for an estimated Wattage of 479W?

How well will this work for gaming with for example Looking Glass?

There is also an ASRock Radeon VII Phantom Gaming X Card available for almost 100€ less.
The only difference i can see is the number of stream processors:

ASRock: 3840
ASUS: 4096

Are those 256 stream processors worth 84€?

The Ryzen 7 2700X doesn’t have integrated graphics so I need a second GPU for the host correct?
Wich GPU should I buy for that?

Anything I have missed / need to be aware of?

Thanks!

Moin.

Yes. That would be necessary.

Can’t say anything about that. I am playing directly on linux through Lutris and Steam Play.

Radeon VII has 3840 stream processors. The Asus spec sheet is just wrong.

That 500W PSU might be ok. Personally I would upgrade to something more powerful and higher quality. Especially if you put in a second GPU.

Maybe take a look at the ASRock X470 Taichi.

Also what games are you playing? Maybe give it a shot without looking glass first?

Thanks for the quick reply.

Does the ASUS Card have any advantages over ASRock?
Looks to me like its just more expensive for no reason.

Games:
The only genres I don’t play are: MMORPGs, MOBAs, racing games and mobile games.

Some examples:
Arma 2, 3 (I prey that one day I may reach >60FPS at 1080 with Antialiasing ON ; ) )
TESV, FO3/4/76, Witcher 3
Overwatch, CS:GO, BFV
Metro, FarCry
Some Paradox Games - I have ran out of 16GB RAM with heavily modded Cities:Skylines
Oh and I hope to give VR a try soon

I will also try to play Games on Linux natively.

They are both the same silver triple fan design, right? Then it’s the same card, buy the cheaper one.

Those might give you problems because of anti cheat stuff. Most other games should be running fine, in fact there is quite a few titles in your list with native linux versions available.

One more thing to look into: RAM compatibility! Make sure the kit you wanna buy is supported by the board and listed in it’s memory QVL.

Thx, the RAM wasn’t supported for the Taichi.

I’ve researched a bit about RAM Speeds and from what I’ve read DDR4 RAM will only run at 2133 regardless of what the RAM is rated for, except you explicitly Overclock it in the BIOS, wich is not guaranteed to work anyway.
So if I don’t plan to overclock then their is no reason to buy RAM with more then 2133, correct?

That ram just has profile which you toggle on, and if it doesnt work you return everything, or do rage posts

2700X numbers
Light green is average fps

https://www.io-tech.fi/artikkelit/ddr4-muistinopeus-ryzen-2n-suorituskyky/

I think will get
HyperX Predator 2666, 12-14-14 2x16GB
Still affordable, and not much potential lost if Overclocking doesn’t work.

There is not alot of RAM <2666 supported for the Taichi

8GB sticks G-Skill TridentZ 3200 14 14 14 34 do work flawlessly on my Taichi Ultimate. And I am running four sticks, so 32GB.

Yup.

665€

mhh those 32GB Kits are really expensive though. + I’ve read that using all 4 Slots can be quite tricky to OC especially on Ryzen.
It would really suck to pay 350€ and not get to use the full potential.

I have never overclocked anything before.

This article describes how to calculate the effective RAM Speed (frequency devided by CL).

If I calculate that for the best and worst case it does not look like a great value, or am i missing something?

From what I can tell the TridentZ is roughly 10% faster (only at 3200) at almost double the price?