New PC Build (for a friend)!

Hello all!

I’m back again looking for advice on building a PC for a friend. He games and does video editing, so I’m thinking a Ryzen system as it has a lot of versatility for what he wants to do.

I am looking for what you guys can put together as I have an idea, but would like to see what you all would suggest. The friend is leaning towards liquid cooling, but with a $1500 budget I feel like that may be pushing it.

So for a recap:

Platform: AMD/Intel (doesn’t matter I don’t think)
Cooler: Solid liquid cooling or a really nice equivalent air cooler
Video card: Nothing less than a GTX 1070 (not sure what he plays)
RAM: 16GB (ideally)
Storage: SSD (500GB I think is a good idea) & HDDs (for redundancy 2x 2TB or 4TB as a backup/storage space)
MB: A good choice for a power user and gamer
Disk Drive: Blu-Ray is preferable, and it needs to have burning capabilities

Whatever is not able to be included in this budget we just need to cut it out and I’ll let him know, thanks everyone!

I would wait a little bit. Prices are coming down on storage, ram daily and some new tech might be out shortly.

Nvidia 2000 series launching next week and Intel 9000 series in September, sit tight for a bit.

@Raziel and @anon46267848 I’ll try talking with my friend, but he’s not really the waiting type. Also, unless there’s something huge in price drop is there any other reason to wait? Thanks!

Here if he can’t wait. Also I always go over budget. Do not change graphics card unless 1080p so a RX 580 8G Asrock for $220.00. Could opt for great deal on last gen Ryzen to save $100 to $200. Depending on Video editing program used you could drop to a 6 core. If going with a 6 core you could lower to a B350 or a lower X470, but you will lose sata ports for possible expansion. One SSD for cache/scratch and assets, one SSD for games and M.2 for OS.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GRz929

Nvidia is expect to launch new line up of video cards next week. That is why I would wait. Nvidia is claiming that it is the largest leap since they introduced Cuda. Worth waiting for.

Alright so I know it’s been awhile since I’ve responded to this, but I just wanted to give an update on it.

My friend is willing to wait, and he is also willing to move over to an air cooler as well. Even though however we are going to go ahead and start buliding his system bit by bit. So, for that I’ll be basing it off the build you have provided. I’m going to go ahead and have this thread closed @SgtAwesomesauce, but thank you all for your help!

Locked at the request of the OP.

If you need it open again, OP. Get into touch with a leader or mod.

1 Like