New OS on an old computer

Hey forum, I got the weird idea of installing Linux onto my old computer January because im gonna be building a new computer a month or so before that. But I think I may have found a flaw in my plan. My old compute'rs hardware specs are motherboard: p5kpl-cm. CPU: Intel core 2 duo e7400 2.8ghz, 4gb of DDR2 ram, and a 400gb HDD. I also have a Sapphire hd4830 512mb GDDR3 graphics card (try not to lol too much at it). I want Linux on this old computer because I wanna see how linux is, first hand, because I'm very curious. The problem is, I don't think my hardware will support linux. I was reading earlier that big companies usually don't make drivers for linux because not many people use or, or some reason like that. Even if I could get linux working on the computer, how much of a difference would drivers make in performance? Pre-thanks to everyone who helps me :) 

If you want to try linux, use you can use installer like wubi to do it without affecting your windows installation. If you like it, you can then it install it permanently.

You should have absolutely no problems running linux on that machine. While drivers aren't updated for linux like they are on windows, you can get AMD drivers for your gpu. That should really be the only 3rd party driver you need. Even if AMD didn't have any drivers for linux you could always use the open source drivers. 

You can find the drivers here.

Nope, nope, nope. Wubi is bad! Better install a linux distribution on a USB drive and test it from there.

While drivers aren't updated for linux like they are on windows [...]

lolwut?!

Even if AMD didn't have any drivers for linux you could always use the open source drivers.

They are even preferable. The 3d performance is worse but they work with new technologie and with all new kernel versions.

I have been trying Zorin Os for abouth a month and a like it