New motherboard

hi! i'm a newbie here. i have a motherboard and a processor for like 5 years already. i want to change it this year. my question is, does it matter if your motherboard is cheap or expensive? i'm trying to buy the msi 270x titanium and it cost like $300. i just want to have some opinions if i need to get a expensive motherboard or no.

In general you get what you pay for with motherboards. However, like most things in life, there are always exceptions.

For example, the MSI X370 Titanium is actually a rather bad board for the money, the ASRock X370 Taichi is a better board and costs less. On the flip side, the MSI X370 Titanium will be better than something like the MSI B350 Mortar.

I am the type that believes one should never skimp out on a good quality motherboard, but one shouldn't pay extra for a worse motherboard either.

2 Likes

Agreed, by all accounts, the Taichi is a very good choice.

Never skimp on the mobo and never skimp on the power supply.

EDIT: BTW - Cheap and inexpensive are not the same thing.

1 Like

I always go with a cheap MB, if it comes free with the cpu that's a win.
I have had OEM PSU's last 20 years
Best place to spend cash is the monitor IMHO. It is the part you see the most.

2 Likes

Motherboards are not going to noticeably impact the performance of you're system. When shopping for a motherboard, there are really only three things to notice. The first and most obvious is CPU support (socket and chipset). The second is connectivity. This is the one that most people pay attention to when buying mobos. It covers things like the number of SATA ports, USB ports, PCIe slots, M.2 slots, and RAM slots. The last one is VRM quality. Most people don't pay a lot of attention to this one beyond general functionality because it won't impact performance until you start trying to overclock beyond the capabilities of watercollers. Unless you're planning on using liquid nitrogen at some point in the future, just read a couple reviews to make sure the VRM isn't igniting with slight overclocks, but don't worry too much about it.

2 Likes

I´m not sure which particular platform you are looking to upgrade to.
But i assume you are looking for Ryzen?

Well the Msi X370 Xpower Titanium is a board that i definitelly NOT recommend to buy.
Because its not premium in any single way.
The reason for this is that they have used a pretty cheap type of Nikos mosfet in the vrm implementation on this board.

I would highly recommend the Asrock X370 Taichi or Asus Crosshair 6 Hero instead.
Those are decent and highend premium boards.
Another option goes for the Aorus X370 Gaming K7.

But now to your question, does it really matter if you motherboard is cheap or not.
Well that highlly depends on the situation and platform really.
I personally never really recommend to cheap out on a motherboard too much.
The reason for this is that the motherboard is one of the most important parts of a system exally.

Look for a motherboard with the features you want/need, that is from a known manufacturer. More often than not, for the "average" setup, the expensive motherboards are going to have a bunch of features that you may not need.

oh i'm looking for intel. can you also suggest more motherboards ranging from $150-200. thanks

What CPU are you getting?

1: Asrock Z270 Super carrier.
2: Asus maximus VIII Hero.
3: Asrock Z270 Taichi.

Just a few very decent options.
But i will come with more options lateron.
Because i have to walk trough my Z270 vrm documentations wenn i have time.

i7 7700k intel

The way this post reads it sound like you are trying to just upgrade your motherboard and CPU. If that is the case you forgot you are going to have to upgrade your Ram, New motherboards today take a different type of ram, ram from five years ago won't work in today's motherboards.

1 Like

Thanks for the info!