New Mikrotik 10G Switch - CRS317-1G-16S+RM

Nice… but will i get to see them in AUS anytime soon… if at all. At least with Mikrotik and UBNT… i know that i can get them in aus

Ship them to my house and ill forward it to you. Or to wendell to do a review then pay for the shipping to AUS

Mmm EPYC… that should be a nice gut punch to Intels XEON’s

I might just do that

With 10G LAN now become affordable, now we need devices to store ALL the data…

Next Min, home users building 172TB Arrays… Naaa… I will go steal Linus Petabyte Project Instead :slight_smile:

EDIT: if only i had nice internet to go with that.

I dont see home arrays getting that large anytime soon, 4x8TB drives is still like $720 for drives alone and thats at a steal of a price.

So never since AUS ISPs = the most trash on this planet.

LOL YES… Aus ISP SUCK

I am in the process of build my new nas… 12x4TB’s in RaidZ2 as i am going to attach it to my ESXI box as well for VM storage

youll actually be able to saturate unlike me im only on 8x3TBs RZ2 but about 7.5/10 of the link saturated.

Did you check out them at computex?

to the extent that I was shooed away “no press! for oem partners only! shoo shoo!” theehehe I’ve kept the secrets :stuck_out_tongue:

I just picked up some 8tb drives for my home nas upgrading from 3tb so that’ll be a video on frenass 11.1 probably. I do need to check out unraid because people ask but 11.1 is/will be pretty usable and fixes everything.

I need to check and see if they have native support for ioDriveII or if I have to roll my own again though.

I wish the consumer optane wasn’t terrible for l2arc/zil (too slow, need to raid 4 of them to make it even remotely worthwhile).

Did you get them from the Best Buy deal?

You should pick up a FLIR to see the hot spots on the Threadripper so we know what of rhe 4 chips are the live ones.

FLIR one is reasonably priced.

Wendell, how do use tech @ home?.. you have only ever shown us the office when you were still with TS

Probably more and less than you would think. My favorite thing is that I automated my media collection and storage.

I have been planning a long time to show the home security and home video camera tech but my stuff is older than modern stuff. I picked up some modern stuff but it’s a bit different . I don’t have a single iot device on the internet but I use a couple raspberry pi running hardened distros that just receive and display text.

I have a good book collection but not a good enough music collection.

Plans to maybe archive some video disks.

2 Likes

Cool video I think would be good would be a rack mount temp/humidity sensor using a raspberry pi.

1 Like

I am looking forward to it

SFP+ isn’t that much more expensive compared to cat6

A 10GBase-LR transceiver can be found for $30 (you’d need 2), 30m of preterminated (LC-LC UPC-UPC) 9/125 fiber is like $10 (~ $20 for 100m).

For shorter, in-rack/in-room runs, 5m DAC that doesn’t need a transceiver is around $20

He was for sfp based stuff, I was against it. So figure $60 +20+wall jacks + wall to pc = aprox $100 per run where cat6 run would be substantially less and if you ever wanted to use a slower gigabit you wouldn’t need to get another fiber card for that drop or a media converter. Just doesnt make sense unless its all going to be server room connections and at that point you have the budget for better gear.

Like everything… you need to know what you want to do.

I was simply stating that there is now a common brand device with 10g with is now at a $400 price point… future is looking good… in hardware anyway… :confused: