New Mikrotik 10G Switch - CRS317-1G-16S+RM

Future of 10G looking good.

@wendell do you think you could review this. If the really was an msrp of $400 and works well… That would be epic

3 Likes

It’s SFP+ not RJ45, you need fiber or dac cabling making it generally unsuitable for anything other than home labs, small business racks or enthusiasts

Not exactly a mass market product

2 Likes

That may be true,

But a home lab or SMB 10GBe switch with an MSRP of $400?

Sound good to me

1 Like

Yeah, seems like it’d make a good core switch for a small business or even a home lab. Especially if you have a lot of PCs and other switches/servers talking to a NAS. It would be super cool to have a bunch of servers connected with SFP+ direct attach cables so they get 10GB speeds to a NAS/SAN type thing, that would be an awesome hypervisor setup I would think. Plus who doesn’t love to play with fiber?

True Dat (Fiber FTW),

That being said, while SFP+ DAC cables are still expensive compared to CAT6a/CAT7 cable, places like 10gtek have made them a lot more affordable for small installs

rather pick up Ubiquity since its 16 ports with 4 being rj45 way more piratical.

I am foaming at the mouth to get my hands on the all rj45 switch from Aquantia. Should be good.

2 Likes

True, But it is still $200 more. and SFP+ X520’s are a lot cheaper on ebay

yeah but then you have to wire your house with fiber, not cat6

https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-ES-16-XG-Edge-Switch/dp/B01K2Y1HP0 $510 and have seen slightly under $500 so lets say $500 vs $400 and you get 4 rj45 100% worth

also the dual 10gbe nics go for like $100 vs like $80 for fiber ones.

yes, but how many client devices to you have that needs 10gbe connectivity

Umm anyone who actually needs that 10gbe probably needs it at the end device or are a large business so this shit doesnt matter.

Monthly Patreon repot" Well we are in the red a lot, kind of went overboard on some switches"

1 Like

Point,

But, there are cases where you dont need that cable runs. But this would also work well as a core and san switch environment where you dont have client machines connection at all.

rofl not patreon but I have splurged a bit on some things for an upcoming project things are about to get dangerous a la dark wing duck maybe? I was always more partial to count duckula – much darker humor to my liking.

4 Likes

So does that mean we should be seeing some epic enterprise hardware soon… with a duck lording over it all?

Worth the premium of $50 to get 4 rj45 prots because even if you are a small business 4 is a decent amount of end workstation. Savings on copper vs SFPs/Fiber = equal cost and still gives you ability to connect 4 computers that arent in your server closet.

True, that being said… with my original post i was simply point out that a 16p 10g switch is a new low in the 10g network market. 10g FTW

saw you guys finally got color calibration spider so was glad to see that

1 Like

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11487/lower-cost-10gbase-t-switches-coming price looking better here

“That being said, after suggesting that pricing in the region of $250-$300 for an 8-port switch that supports Aquantia 10G solutions”

its kinda weird… we have a lot of ideas for non-hardware videos but we need hardware for stuff we’ve got planned so its like… okay… more hardware… okay… more hardware.

This has been the best year in years for hardware.

Can you believe kaby lake came out on January 1, 2017? How crazy is that? And now intel’s announced this:
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/intel-will-officially-unveil-its-8th-generation-coffee-lake-cpus-on-august-21st/

AMD is back with a vengance, Vega in all its forms, Ryzen, Epyc, TR plus intel’s new xeon lines, x299 is toally different uarch because prior hcc xeon uarch was basically a dead end for hcc parts… now coffee lake is coming in time for xmas? at least the annoucement no idea about availability.

I mean… man! What a year for hardware! I could never have predicted this. It’s nuts. It’s also super crazy if you’re just trying to build the best dang workstation for yourself ever because the last time you bought a powerhouse pc was 5 years ago and you’re thinking… this thing is 5 years old… surely SURELY there is something out there significantly faster and better for just a few bucks more than what I paid 5 years ago? And there very soon might be :smiley:

1 Like