New mid-priced gaming build for a linux user

The mainboard in the old old rig is an ASUS X370 PRIME PRO @ BIOS 6026. Currently it appears to be stable. R7 1700 + GTX 1060. Currently I’m playing old Games on my “off the shelf” PC SFF box (Intel Core i5 10500+64 GiB of RAM on the iGPU).

I’m not particularly in favor of any brand, but I like how well the Intel Linux drivers work currently. (iGPU) If the DX_to_VK translation were to work flawlessly, why not consider an Intel card?

EDIT:

Yes, a few people have warned me, not to adopt a graphics card with only 8 GiB of VRAM. Especially since my display is an LG monitor that runs 1440p/75Hz natively.

Concerns of Intels current engagement of project / division shuttering streak
They sunk way too much money, imho, to go about giving up after 1 generation

As-is, I call ARC a mixed bag, for the general publics reaction – since first impression(s) are critical
But their responses, have been more favourable outcomes [I’d like to think so]

8GB concern, are these game publishers letting out SEVERAL games of recent years
Without any need, to bother with optimization attempt(s) [if not EVER entertain it]
Also game detailing, has been noticeably escalating, in last handful of years

Im not sure GPU’s are going to go down anymore than they are now. AMD has the 6xxx series on fire sale and Nvidia is playing supply hijinx to keep their prices as high as possible since they cant match AMD for price.

As for CPU’s there is nothing on the horizon worth waiting for. The 5800x3D is a killer value and buy for an X370 board.

Pair that with a beefy AMD GPU and you will get way more value out of that update than any new build.

The newer 5xxx series Ryzen chips are more stable than previous generations so like other have said, clean out the case, maybe spend a little on an updated heatsink and put all your money into a new CPU and new GPU.

DDR5 still has teething issues, and latest gen CPU’s and GPU’s are still over priced. Nvidia is trying as hard as they can to convince people that mid-range starts at $750-800us and IMO the only GPU worth spending over $800 is a 7900xtx but only if its under $900.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your input. Those recommendations are really good.
I forgot to mention, that I have someone in my family who is interested in the old rig, and I’m thinking of giving it away.

Building new with a “Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 6800” sounds like good idea to me.
The budget is not that much of a problem. My wish is to build a highly efficient machine, both in regard to power consumption and “bang for the buck”.

Also I’d like as little RGB as possible. :slight_smile:

I have a Sapphire Pulse too. Solid build quality without unecessary bling and the hardware is doing gods work.

You got the right card for that :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.