New member first post could use some feedback

I have these in 16GB sticks. Not sure what difference that will make. I had already planned to test them and report to overclockers as their list is lacking 16GB sticks.

It might matter more with Ryzen’s somewhat “finicky” IMC (at achieving it’s rated clocks), but it is probably much easier on the 7700K side. You would see a difference on Intel as you try to push the RAM to it’s limit I believe. The performance difference would only likely noticeable on benches for throughput (GB/s) and latency. General performance would not make much of a difference I don’t think… maybe the minimum FPS would be slightly better on a few titles if you got to like 3400 MHz with tight timings.

Are you on AMD’s Ryzen, or Intel?

If that question was for me, I am Threadripper…

1 Like

Memory speed doesnt really matter a whole lot on an intel system.
But on AMD Ryzen systems its a whole different story for that matter.

i kinda agree with @Raziel and his suggestion above.
The 7700K is still the king wenn it comes to gaming performance.
However since this build isnt really mainlly focused on gaming,
i personally think that the R5-1600 or 1600X would be a way better value,
for money in this use case scenario.

2 Likes

Add to that it seems that 7700k on 1151 has no upgrade path with Coffee Lake requiring a 300-series board and the AM4 socket’s future looks a lot brighter IMO, at least over the next four years.

Yeah Z270 is end of life pretty much, with intels new mainstream lineup arround the corner.

Thanks everyone for your input, you all have given me a lot to think about and I’ve been sitting here this evening looking into all of your suggestions. I still have a couple of weeks before I can pull the trigger, but pull the trigger I will, I’ve been wanting to do this for a long time so I’m committed to doing it.

I will have to admit, I thought that the AMD input was going to turn this thread into another Intel vs AMD shit storm. But those AMD diehards have made a good point that I had failed to consider, that the Z270 is on the way out, that much is evident with the release of the new i9 platform. I would go with an i9 because I am comfortable with Intel products, BUTTTTT this project is about doing something new, by building my own instead of letting Dell controlling the ceiling as it were. Not to mention that just the CPU and mobo would eat up my entire budget for this build.

So in the spirit of doing something new I’m really leaning towards doing an AMD build so I have another question. I noticed that AMD Ryzen 7 comes with a cooler, can just the chip be bought if I want to use a different cooler? Surely if you opt out of using AMDs cooler the price should be a tad cheaper? The r5- 1600 (X) you can buy just the chip but I am unable to find the 7 packaged so?

Also any suggestions on a AM4 mobo and memory set to get the most out of either the R5 or R7?

1 Like

The 1700X does not have a cooler, you pay extra for the higher clocks. The 1700 comes with a pretty good cooler, unless you are trying to achieve highest overclock.

Team Group Dark Pro

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313712

B350 for value or X370 for more features. If you are going with a 1700 or 1700x I would say x370. It pairs better. the ASRock Tiachi is a favorite around here. Asus Strix or MSI. There are several good boards.

It is… The new 300 platform and 1152 socket are coming bu the end of the year…

Bad choice again. AMD’s Threadripper CPUs are destroying Intel’s i9 in most benchmarks for way lower price.

I believe only R7 1700 comes with a cooler. If you REALLY don’t want the cooler you can go for 1700X or 1800X… But I don’t see a reason to avoid the cooler.

Oh dear…
Asrock Taichi X370 immediately comes to mind…
Asrock B350 Pro4 also comes to mind as a way cheaper version, but keeping in mind you wanted 7700K I rather say go for the Taichi.
The ram is reportedly the best for Ryzen - G-Skill Trident Z 3200MHz… If you are lucky you may be able to find them black and white to fit the Taichi…

I will add that I was in a similar position to you around the beginning of this year. I was really close to jumping on a 7700K after about four years of an FX-8350 and software performance was lagging on me (I don’t just game on my home machine). Then I heard about Zen and figured I’d at least wait to see what AMD had coming, and saw that they were pushing eight real cores down to the consumer with SMT, everything unlocked.

I paid full launch price on a 1700X and rebuilt my system from scratch and I couldn’t be happier. Everything is super snappy and responsive, multithreaded workloads run amazingly fast, and I can push the system to full 100% utilization (CPU and RAM) and STILL use it with only a very small drop in response time. I tried the same thing on my (admittedly old) Dell Xeon workstation at work and it froze the whole system up solid.

I wouldn’t recommend the RAM I bought but I do like the ASUS Prime X370-Pro motherboard, even if it’s a little expensive for the features, although they keep adding things to the BIOS with every update.

The 7700K is a great CPU, but with Coffee Lake coming out with a new chipset and great performance to price ratio from AMD, I just think it’s a dead end, especially if gaming isn’t the first consideration and absolute highest priority.

If you feel more confortable with intel,
then it might be worth waiting for the upcomming coffelake Z370 platform.

But as far as Ryzen and the coolers are concerned.
The X versions of the cpu’s dont come with a stock cooler.
But the X versions also have higher base clockspeeds out of the box.
The R5-1600 comes with the Wraith Spire cooler and so does the 1700.
The 1600X and 1700X / 1800X both dont come with a stock cooler.

As far as Ryzen am4 motherboards are concerned, it depends abit on what your goals are in terms of overclocking.
I have looked at and done re-search on the vrm implementations and build quality,
on pretty much any X370 and B350 motherboards.
And all i can say is that in terms of overall build quality and vrm implementations B350 boards are pretty poor.

So my recommendation is definitelly to go with a decent X370 board,
regardless if you go with a R5-1600 (X) or 1700 (X).

Motherboards that i would recommend based on vrm implementations, feutures and overall build quality.

Highend:

1: Asrock X370 professional Gaming.
2: Asus Crosshair 6 Extreme.
3: Asrock X370 Taichi.
4: Asus Crosshair 6 Hero.
5: Aorus (Gigabyte) X370 Gaming K7.

Midrange:

1: Aorus X370 Gaming 5.
2: Asus X370-F ROG Strix.
3: Asus X370 Prime pro.
4: Asrock X370 Gaming K4.
5: Asrock X370 Killer sli.

Best of the B350 boards, but yeah i’m not a huge of them.

1: Msi B350 Gaming pro carbon.
2: Msi X370 Krait gaming.

If you have any questions just ask :wink:

Agreed.

1060 is an awesome card.
However reading his post he seemed unsure if he would game on it and he mentioned he already has a console, plus he can always add it on later if he does. The main thing seemed he really really wants that I7-7700K
Some console gamers try PC gaming and decide they rather play on a console.
I am the opposite, I bought an XBOX and tried HALO and I hated it, For years it ended up being a very expensive DVD player.
BTW you did put together a great build, I had been up for 16 hrs and posted just b4 bed so I actually thought it was the OP’s partpicker build, sorry about that

1 Like

I’ve had that CPU in my mind for a while now, though I’m not hard and fast on that choice. I’m sitting here now looking into going with an R7 AMD chip now because of the feed back I’ve received. When a suggestion makes sense only a fool outright ignores the advice.

I am unsure, but since I can go back and play the Fallout series, as well as the Elder Scroll line this build probably will see some gaming use. AND I got to thinking about it, I torrent a lot of movies and shows, I’d like to get into 4K in the future so I’m thinking on going ahead and going with a

ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1070 STRIX-GTX1070-O8G-GAMING 8GB

No not my build but a great list.

1 Like