New linux aimed build with GPU passthrough

Hey everyone,

I am in the works of replacing my current build with something a bit more linux friendly.

Current build:
ASRock z370m Pro4 - i7 8700k
Samsung 850 Pro M.2
Nvidia GTX 1080

I am able to run linux however I get ACPI errors. After some research its a BIOS thing and there isn’t anything I can do about it. It’s a bit annoying but not the end of the world. What I would like to accomplish is to run linux as my daily driver and a Windows VM with GPU pass-through for gaming and any other Windows related needs. I also will need 10GBe. I’d like if it were integrated. So that being said it limits me a small number of options. I am looking for recommendations. I don’t care if it’s eatx but I do prefer AMD but it doesn’t have to be. I was looking at a few X99 options but I don’t know if that’s a good idea seeing that it’s an older chipset. I’d like at least six cores like my 8700.

Curious, what games do you play? Something like League of Legends actually does run on linux in wine, as well as there being many native ports. Blizzard games (except overwatch grumble grumble whatever) all run fine in wine, and many steam games run in wine as well. Theres limited DX11 support with games, but 7/8/9/10 all are great with 11 coming up super fast. Some people have even gotten GTA5 to work in wine, though I think thats mostly high end rigs.

The reason I bring this up is because passthrough is a pain in my dick and I don’t want a windows machine in my network if I can help it. If I can just run everything in my linux environment I’ll play it. The only windows machine that I have is my Mac Pro 1,1 and in the rare occasion it gets booted to windows 7 its to only play GTA5 and H1Z1. Otherwise anything that I play runs fine in linux.

As for your 10GBE, all that shit gets pumped to linux first, then to other OS’s later. Or at least it feels like it. It won’t be an issue either way.

Also if you play anything that has vulkan, like doom, you have to use wine but its 1:1 performance because vulkan.

Currently I’m playing Wolfenstein 2 and Metro Last Light. I’m still a noob with linux and so I don’t yet know the experience to expect with visualizing Windows with GPU pass-through. Hans the reason for my posting. I’ve tried a few different distros of linux and so far I like Debian the most it’s also what I use on my home server.

I’ve looked at the ASRock Fatal1ty X399 but it’s using AQUANTIA AQC107 for 10gb. I haven’t really heard great things about it. I always hear great things about the Intel chips when it comes to 10gb ex: x550 & x540