New LG Panel

Thoughts on using this as a productivity / limited gaming monitor? It looks attractive to me.

http://www.ibtimes.com.au/lg-43ud79-b-launches-new-425-inch-4k-ips-monitor-has-freesync-plus-loads-connectivity-gaming-1552390

2 Likes

Could be a good choice i think.
IPS is still one of the better panels to go with for productivity in the sense of graphical design imo.

1 Like

What do you think are the best features of this monitor? While it definitely make sense for certain use cases (high DPI with multiple simultaneous inputs), I don't know if I would pick it up myself. Not for a personal monitor anyway; 43" seems a bit big for me.

I am still in love with 2560x1440 @ 27". 27" is a really good size and 4k on anything under 32" seems slightly pointless as I would have to use DPI scaling which just seems backwords. To each their own though.

For colour professionals this seems like the most intersting point but it is a bit early to tell if it actually useful.

LG says that its new monitor has support for 1.07 billion colours, although it doesn’t really mention a 10-bit panel. This may well be an 8-bit panel that uses A-FRC to reach a 10-bit colour depth. Good thing that the unit is going to be pre-calibrated before it gets shipped.

1 Like

10 bit monitors or 8 bit monitors with FRC has been out for moons. It's just that things like that you don't see that much as more ludicrously expensive monitors has that feature, and they are also not generally available to the consumer market; it's meant to be for such as large movie studios and such industries that demands strict colour perfection. So if you were to go around and ask those people who have been using them for a while, they may tell you a lot more, including the history of needing these kind of displays.

But of course, some general consumers may have those kind of monitors that are available for everyone. It's just that, I don't see that much people owning these kind of monitors anywhere.

1 Like

Exactly!

There are other issues as well like the fact that you need a GPU that can output 10 bit color along with the 10 bit panel. But its kinda chicken and egg situation so anyone making gains in that general direction is a good thing.

1 Like

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11038/philips-bdm4037uw-goes-on-sale-40-inch-4k-curved-display-for-800

I like this monitor a bit better.

1 Like

The Phillips one is VA though. Hopefully the LG has better input lag than that one when it comes out.

I think the LG looks very compelling depending on how the reviews turn out. If it's an RGB subpixel layout and under 30ms input lag (ideally under 20ms), I'll be picking one up!

Personally I would take larger size, 4k resolution, and IPS over faster refresh rate, but everyone has different views in that regard.

1 Like

Not a huge fan of the curved thingies. If I spend the money on these then they will have wall mounts where I articulate them myself.

I concur. Most of my time on computers is spent doing produtivity related stuff. Gaming takes a back seat. And I have been playing on a now ancient 1080p television (Samsung) forever now. So input lag is a non issue for me. In fact, just about anything would likely feel like light speed in comparison.

Viewsonic vx4380 may be the same panel. It was released at about the same time. Still waiting for reviews!

1 Like

I wouldn't hold my breath for the ViewSonic.
I'm calculating 100DPI, which isn't ideal for productivity, and no FreeSync to boot.
What a shame.

It's the same dpi as the LG panel we are discussing.

Right now these two are basically the only 4k screens above 32" and below $1000 that seem any good, so I am pretty excited to see what the reviews say. All of the other large panels have had significant flaws for me, such as BGR subpixel layout, super high input lag, etc.

I don't think most people care that much about freesync since the majority use Nvidia anyway.

I see.
In that case I reckon that the low DPI count is more damning for the LG than a good feature for the ViewSonic.
42.5'' for a screen is really big. Had they stayed at 40'', people would riot over these. I think the difference of 2.5'' diagonal makes or breaks the DPI sweet spot.
Also, whomever is saying that the LG has FreeSync must be lying. I've gone through the datasheets previously and it wasn't written anywhere that this was the case. They have their own brand of sync tech, but there's no guarantee it's as efficient.

A 21.5" 1080p display is the same dpi. That's the most common monitor size and resolution out there at the moment (take it from me, I work in IT). This is basically the exact same thing as having a grid of four 21.5" 1080p monitors. Except no bezel, and no multi screen juggling.

Well so someone on hardforum confirmed that it is a BGR panel. That's a no go for me as I do plan on using OS X part of the time, and also I think that linux support for BGR layout is iffy depending on the distro. I'm almost positive the viewsonic will be the same way as they appear to be the same panel.

My next monitor will probably be the benq 3201ph. I'd like something larger than 32", but it's the only decent option IMO.