New laptop recommendation [SOLVED]

TL:DR New laptop, 99% typing, Surface laptop 3 vs Macbook pro 2019 vs ?

I have been using a gen 1 surface book for the last few years as a work laptop, and the keys have finally started to go weird on me. The faster that i type, the higher the chance that key presses will not register. I work as an editor across three different jobs, so its a big problem.

I have been looking at laptops, and the two biggest things for me are a fantastic typing experience, and great battery life. Up until now, my surface book delivered. because of that I have looked at the surface laptop 3, and the 2019 13" macbook pro. Both have 256gb storage, i5’s, and 8gb ram. Both are also the same price, however, the macbook can be had for slightly less money as I work for a university and apple does the education discount. The caveat is that i have never owned an apple product before, and their keyboards are weird. Are their keyboards as bad as they have been the last few generations? Will i get used to the sub 1mm key travel, or is it more of an instant love/hate type of thing?

Software is not a consideration - my employer supplies all my programs for me.
Zero gaming usage. Zero audio needs. Zero expand-ability needs.

Preferably it will last me 3 - 5 years.

Open to alternative suggestions, ballpark price is $2000 AUD / $1200-1500 USD

Why dont you go for the Thinkpad Carbon 1X?

Base model is over $2500 for me

I do have a love/hate relationship to my Ryzen Ideapad 720s but if typing is that high a priority, I would say try some Lenovo laptops if you can.

Typing is literally all I do - all day every day. I’ll check out their site, any specific models?

If its just typing, why not the upcoming pinebook pro? Its open hardware at 199USD. Decent keyboard, magnesium allow body. Linux only ARM laptop. 1080p.

Because linux is not useable for what I do, and neither is ARM. I run all proprietary software, and AFAIK none of it will run on arm. I also don’t want to get into a linux debate, linux is cool but not an OS that I can use to do what I do.

1 Like

You probably won’t like the apple keyboard if you liked the surface.
Also they are retiring that keyboard design, so I’d steer clear.

Surface laptop is a safe bet, another option could be a Dell XPS, although it will probably cost you more.

1 Like

Lenovo X or T series.

Argument over.

Hmmmm, you pose an interesting thing. Personally I like the old apple bluetooth keyboards for typing when I know I am going to be typing for a long time, but I can’t say that I know of any switches in modern laptops that are terribly comparable…

If you have the chance, grab a refurbed 2012 or 2015 MBP as those are the least naturally faulty units, and if bought from someone reliable the machine will never die. As for other laptops? I hear the newest surface book isn’t garbage for typing. I might be that guy and tell you to take a gander at the weird ass laptops with mechanical keyboards or with the keyboard in the front of the case. Haven’t seen many typing complaints.

Also, I have an MSI GS63VR. Comparing to the apple BT KB’s its pretty snappy. I like it a lot for typing. You might look at the workstations they have in their laptops.

Other than that?.. If all you’re doing is typing you can’t beat an IBM 600X :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Agree with this.

New surface laptop should also be okay to repair once the keyboard gives out (thanks to MS for finally putting some screws on a surface device). I believe that also requires replacing the entire palm rest(?).

If you’ve been happy using your Surface Book, I see no reason to move to a device with less vertical real estate. New XPS 13 is at least 16:10, but it’s still not 3:2.

1 Like

How often are you using the laptop as a laptop figure you would still be sitting at a desk most of the time so could easily use full sized most of the time.

I work 4 different jobs in 4 different locations (editor for a magazine, editor for a university, Vice-President of a writing club, Academic tutor at a university) so I am on the move all day every day. I don’t have an office, I hot-desk with a few other people. Laptop is the only option for me.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.