New Laptop needed for gaming/Virtual machines/Linux £2k/$2.5k budget

Plain and boring works for me :slight_smile: I’m happy provided I can expand or repair it myself. The Gigabyte you linked to looks like good value for money, but I am not so sure their higher specc’ed ones are. Basically the Dell was the only laptop that came in at the spec I wanted with Thunderbolt3 for under £1k. The OP has twice the budget so should be able to get something really decent.

2 Likes

Plus, the Dell is really easy to open and upgrade, it’s something I really like about their designs.

You’d have to have a real toaster sitting on your legs. What if could have us build it, and have a monitor to swing over the bed on an arm with wireless mouse and keyboard?

You may have already thought about that though, just throwing out ideas.

Well the decision was made for me… The mrs got tired of me ‘messing about’ and went on the dell site and ordered an alienware 17 fully specced out witha 7820hk and gtx 1080. Its now dual booting windows and linux and its a killer laptop. I have a table that swings over the side of the bed so can play when im stuck in bed too.

2 Likes

Awesome, sounds great. How is the GPU swapping under Linux, does that work properly?

My Dell 7577 was delivered this morning, I’m pleased with it so far but haven’t done much yet. The 7700HQ and 1050Ti looks like they won’t have problems with the games I play (avg. 90FPS on valley at the default high setting) and I’ll expand it to 32GB for working with VM’s, but that’s not all…

…A second-hand Alienware 15 with a 4720HQ and 980M should be arriving tomorrow, my finger somehow slipped on the bid button on ebay after a couple of beers the other night. That one will probably have to replace one of the older desktops :slight_smile:

1 Like

how much did you cough up?

It was just under £2.4k with three years accidental damage and 3 years support. I am testing gpu passthrough at the moment. I have windows and solus installed in dual boot. When i have time i will build arch

My mother, she got a laptop that ran hotter than a Fermi GPU and was built like a plastic toy.

I do have a question though, how does one run VMs with Hardware Passthrough on laptops without having to disguise a Geforce card as a Quadro? There are very few AMD dGPU laptops far in between that’s worth a damn (Like RX 550 performance or higher).

You can work around Nvidia machinations when using KVM. Under ESXi or Hyper-V it’s a non-starter without a Quadro or AMD GPU.

Update: GPU passthrough was a nightmare and the alienware 17 had severe overheating problems. Back to the drawing board

If I was buying new gaming laptop with your budget I would probably get this.

1 Like