New(ish) to Linux and am requiring some help/advice

Hello,
I ran Linux back in high school (so, ten or eleven years) and recently got informed about Steam Proton and DXVK . Really all i do is casual gaming and web browsing so i figured I’d give it a shot, if nothing else for nostalgia’s sake. Went with Zorin OS simply because that’s what I had previously used and wow… if you don’t use it, you lose it! Only thing i can even remember is how to update my registry and reboot ! DOOM doesn’t seem to want to open properly and Steam wont take the report, for some reason. Is there a guide for proper setup or has anyone had issues with DOOM failing to start? Also, do i need to be on AMD’s drivers or will the open source package be the best option? All of this is new to me again so please bear with me!

1 Like

Added the helpdesk tag for you.

Good luck. And welcome to the community!!

We also have two proton threads. I’m on mobile so can’t link it.

Edit: I’ll try to power thru.

Here is the testing thread for proton.

1 Like

Have you updated your repositories and upgraded all of your packages using “sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade”? Also, regarding AMD drivers, if I’m not mistaken their driver is open source. You can use this command “dpkg -l amdgpu-pro” to check if you have the AMD driver installed.

Also, if you launch Steam from the terminal and try to open doom it should provide you with any errors messages that occur. It might help us diagnose the problem.

1 Like

Thank you X2,Goalkeeper ! I’m grateful to be here!
LFY, I have updated and upgraded. I , apparently, am just using the stock drivers with whatever came with Zorin. Seems to be working with all of the native Linux ports but none of the games i have seem to be launching with Proton. DOOM is the only one that’s giving me an error message so, I figured I’d start with that and maybe it would resolve the other issues. You’re dealing with NOOB level status,on this one! i have no idea how to launch the game through the terminal but i did copy the error that DOOM’s console is giving me.

Configured log listener print-redirect tags
Added structured log listener print-redirect
Added structured log listener mp-cloud-gobbler
2018-12-10T18:44:14.441-06:00 LOG: Process started
Added structured log listener aws-kinesis-logger
Winsock Initialized
------ Initializing File System ------
Current search path:
- C:/users/steamuser/Saved Games/id Software/DOOM/base/
- Z:/home/samm/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/DOOM/base/
------ File System initialized.
------ Command Line ------
Z:\home\samm.local\share\Steam\steamapps\common\DOOM\DOOMx64.exe
2018-12-10T18:44:14.445-06:00 LOG: Command Line: Z:\home\samm.local\share\Steam\steamapps\common\DOOM\DOOMx64.exe
------ CPU Information ------
1 CPU package, 4 physical cores, 8 logical cores
4613 MHz AMD CPU with MMX & SSE & SSE2 & SSE3 & SSSE3 & SSE41 & SSE42 & AVX & HTT
16384 kB 1st level cache, 2097152 kB 2nd level cache, 8388608 kB 3rd level cache
15952 MB System Memory
initializing resource container gameresources.resources
initializing resource container gameresources.patch
idLib::SetProduction( PROD_PRODUCTION )
------- Initializing renderSystem --------
PreliminaryRenderSetup
—registered window class
—registered fake window class
—registered context window class
X…WGL_EXT_swap_control_tear not found
unknown error: 0x578
FATAL ERROR: wglCreateContextAttribsARB failed
Dumped console text to C:\users\steamuser\Saved Games\id Software\DOOM\base\ErrorLog_12-10-2018__06-44-15pm.txt.

idRenderSystem::Shutdown()
Shutting down OpenGL subsystem

FATAL ERROR: wglCreateContextAttribsARB failed

It appears to be a known bug with Doom when running with OpenGL. If you set “+r_renderAPI 1” in your launch options it might resolves your issue. This will tell Doom to use Vulkan instead of OpenGL. If you need help setting the option just let me know. Also, for future reference you can launch any application from the command line by just typing in it’s name.

if you are super new to linux, I would recommend you start with a fresh install of ubuntu rather than trying to get this to work on Zorin.

Also it would be helpful to know what hardware you’re using. Also, the kernel is useful information as well.

Some people may give me crap for recommending ubuntu, but the reason is to simply cut out other factors like missing dependecies etc. Unless you want to hack the system to get it to work, it’s probably easier to just use something that works first and then go from there.

1 Like

also is your version of doom windows or dos based?
if its dos based you may need dosbox or dosemu to run it.