New install of windows 7 can't update

I finished building a computer for a friend a few days ago. I first installed some stress tests/games just to ensure stability, and everything's working fine. I never received any errors during windows install.

After a few days of stress testing, I decided I would get all of his installs up to date so he didn't need to bother with it, but the download for windows update is stuck at 0kb but internet works fine for everything else.

I've searched extensively online, and nothing seems to help. Some of the common solutions were
Download and runs windows fixit utility
Disable automatic internet settings in internet explorer
Restart with all services disabled except for windows
Disabling windows firewall
Downloading small increments at a time, rather than all at once. I even tried doing a single 300kb file by itself, and still 0kb downloaded.

There was a bunch more, but I honestly don't remember everything. I've tried all of these to no avail. Has anyone else had a similar issue and resolved it? Just for the record, yes, it is a legal copy of Windows 7 home premium 64 bit addition, and the key is registered/activated.

I also have no other programs currently installed that would conflict with installation (Antivirus/firewall)

Literally the only thing I've done with the computer is download steam, download 3d mark, download unigen valley, download cpuz, and download hwmonitor.

First update after SP1 ? Give it a couple hours (as in anywhere between 2 and 5), you should see network activity even if the counter stays at 0%.

Or let Windows install them a few at a time. Either way, you'll probably be busy all day.

Yeah, first update alltogether. I'll try letting it sit. The 0% network usage did have me a bit worried, but at this point I don't seem to have many other options besides praying to the Microsoft gods that there is indeed activity going on beyond that 0% download bar and 0% internet activity

Windows 7 update has always been tediously slow. Even worse with a janky slow N270 Atom processor that I have in this old 2010 netbook of mine. Mostly used as a way to connect to the internet when i'm away from home for a long period of time. Any older hardware makes what takes a day or two to fully update, a freaking week or more.

It's weird, my main computer is downloading updates at a regular speed but for some reason this one is going ungodly slow. Both using the same connection. I guess it turns out that despite all those 0%s they wanted to rub in my face, it was actually doing something... if you can call it that. I tried downloading a single update that was only about 300kb big. I had that downloading since I started this thread over half an hour ago, and it literally just informed me it was finished... 300kb in half an hour is horrendous. My internet itself is 15mbps, but I guess Windows wanted to give me a nostalgia trip and enable dialup mode. Right now I have every download selected and plan on just leaving it on for the rest of the day. Hopefully something comes from it...

I apologize for reposting, but my friend is coming to pick his computer up tomorrow, well... later today, this category sees a substantial more amount of traffic than the software section so I will accept all the lashings I get for double posting, as this is a bit of an emergency.

I finished building a computer for a friend a few days ago. I first installed some stress tests/games just to ensure stability, and everything's working fine. I never received any errors during windows install.

After a few days of stress testing, I decided I would get all of his installs up to date so he didn't need to bother with it, but the download for windows update is stuck at 0kb but internet works fine for everything else.

I've searched extensively online, and nothing seems to help. Some of the common solutions were
Download and runs windows fixit utility
Disable automatic internet settings in internet explorer
Restart with all services disabled except for windows
Disabling windows firewall
Downloading small increments at a time, rather than all at once. I even tried doing a single 300kb file by itself, and still 0kb downloaded.

There was a bunch more, but I honestly don't remember everything. I've tried all of these to no avail. Has anyone else had a similar issue and resolved it? Just for the record, yes, it is a legal copy of Windows 7 home premium 64 bit addition, and the key is registered/activated.

I also have no other programs currently installed that would conflict with installation (Antivirus/firewall)

Literally the only thing I've done with the computer is download steam, download 3d mark, download unigen valley, download cpuz, and download hwmonitor.

Try reinstalling Windows and see if that will help.

Unfortunately I don't have time for that, he's coming to pick his computer up tomorrow and there's a lot of things I would need to do to re-prep his computer for use. He's basically computer illiterate, even something as simple as a graphics card driver would be overwhelming for him. The thing is, that this 'is' a new install of windows, and there was no errors during installation

welp hop to it buddy, tell the buyer that there were technical difficulties and will have to pick up the computer a day later or something.

Edit* found this it may help you out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH3jJ1tpCDg

I've had this happen numerous times. Give @MrChumps solution a go and see what happens. I couldn't get that to work unfortunately. A full reinstall of Windows is your best option. You'd rather have a good install for the customer than one that is just patchwork (no pun intended).

I did a fresh install of Windows 7 pro for a work computer about two weeks ago and haven't had any issues with it updating (well sorry of). I started messing with the registry and caused some issues that I had to fix. Other than that, no problems

Try disabling completely the auto update, set it to never...bla..bla.. Then go back and ask it to look for updates. It will take a while be patient ! (IMO) I had a very similar problem on new and older builds, and this little move worked every time.

Unfortunately I didn't have time to do a new install, because at the time of posting he was going to be getting the computer a few hours later. I did get it to work, though. For some reason downloading the entire set of updates at a time (around like 200 I think) it wouldn't work and stayed at 0% so I had to go through and download 1...then the other...then another... It worked, but sheesh that was tedious.