New indie game, what MC could have been

Like many of my peers (between the ages of 17-20) I grew up in a period of indie video games, the most notable of which Minecraft. I remember when Minecraft was far from, the kids fest it is nowadays and was an actually cool little indie game with immense potential. One where it was, ironically by today view of the game, mostly adults who played it.

What disappoints me most about Minecraft is how stagnated it has become, how many cool things could have been created, and how it’s now become a front for a child’s merch line.

Apparently, the most popular Minecraft server company wants to change that. By self admittedly creating a ‘Minecraft 2.0’.

I might be premature in looking into this game, and it could be another child fest (Even though the developers say they are aiming a Teen rating); However, as someone who remembers Minecraft at 11-years-old in its alpha-form, struggling to play it on a Windows XP computer, I can’t help but be excited.

Its name:

hytale. (hytale.com)

((BTW: This has investments from Riot Games and some other bigger-name companies. So it has a high chance of success, and if it is developed, it *feels as if tho it will have been everything my child-self wanted Minecraft to become.))

Thought I’d share for anyone else who remembers when Minecraft was a cool game, not for 8-year-olds, and was still a new thing, who are also disappointed in what happened to it.

it doesn’t have to cater to every category, I’ve no issue with the state of MC and I’m quite happy with how much more challenging 1.13 is with the addition of drowners

1 Like

4 days

That’s true, but my point wasn’t about what it’s added, it was how little it’s added.

I mean, one of the biggest updates this year was… pandas.

We waited, what, 4 years for them to add… pandas???

As a WoW player MC does not translate to minecraft for me.
Also as a WoW player … fuck pandas!

2 Likes

I don’t think that what this is trying to be.

If you look at the trailer, the combat is unique per type of weapon. The staff looked slightly MMO-ish, but the sword doesn’t.

Also, everything is procedural like MC. So that fancy map quest thing, is suppose to be generated.

I was talking about molten core, the first raid in WoW, and how the short MC was confusing me because of that.

2 Likes

All I want in a video game is The Oasis because it’s such a creative outlet. It occurred to me a few weeks ago that Minecraft probably isn’t that far off from that, at least as far as today’s tech allows, anyway. I haven’t gotten around to playing it because if I’m right, I’ll get sucked in and I don’t have time right now.

Anyway, when I do have time, should I look at MC or go straight to this?

Seems like an interesting game, appears to be a bit more focused on combat than I prefer though.

I do enjoy vanilla minecraft, but modded is just so much better imo. I’m currently playing a pack that has around 300 mods in it.

The new village and pillage update looks alright, but compared to a mod currently being made by Tango Tek it’s extremely lacking. It really is disappointing to see how little the devs have added to minecraft when you have these modders making far more content and only in their spare time.

2 Likes

Certainly looks a lot better than Minecraft without loosing the “blocky” feel.
The advertised features look really interesting.
I can see where some would be disappointed with how the development of Minecraft halted.

Riot Game(s) has made one game (and AFAIK two browser games). Money helps a lot, but there are games that never make it despite money and one-man operations that become enormous successes.

Were pandas always a huge priority thing to be added for you? Each update they are adding huge amounts of content and always trying to improve the game. Some are not happy with it but there are people doing things in their own time to make the game better for them

2 Likes

I’m not sure what you mean when you say its stagnated. Surely you’re overlooking the Java versions mod community? Thauncraft? Avarita? Thermal expansion, applied energetics, refined storage, ender Io, draconic evolution? Galacticraft?