New GPU - Loop - Heat

I currently have an i9 7900x and a 1080TI FE, both are overclocked, CPU is at 4.6Ghz.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

All of this is running in a single custom waterloop with x2 Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper 420mm radiators (Push configuration) and a D5 Pump. The case is a Dark Base Pro 900, one of the radiators is intake (front), and one is exhaust (top), only other fan in the system is an exhaust fan (140mm) out the back of the case.

Current System Temps while gaming:

Water Temp: 40c

Water Pump Speed: 2.9

Radiator Fans RPM: 1000/1100 RPM

CPU Temp: 62-72c

GPU Temp: 46c

Question, if I replace the 1080TI, which has a TDP of 250 stock (FYI my GPU is overclocked so will be higher), with the 3080 (TDP 320) or the 3090 (TDP 350), and don’t overclock the new GPU, (1.) will my radiators be able to handle the extra heat?

(2.) Will I have to increase my fan speed? By how much…

(3.) Will the water loop run hotter, how much hotter? Will it be too hot for the soft tubing I use?

(4.) Will the additional heat of the 3080/3090 heat up my CPU more than it is now?

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Well, this one is a little rough to tell you…

the water pump speed 2.9 what? GPH…LPM?..

Those fan speeds are really low. So tuning is up to you. You can run em slow to keep noise down and let the water get hotter, or run em faster to keep things cooler.

With out knowing the limits of you fans, what fans, pump, what blocks you have etc, any number is just a guess.

1.) That’s a ton of rads… should handel anything if fan and pump speeds are right

2.)that depends of your preferences of sound or temps… which is more important to you?

3.) Who knows… look at #2 again

4.) A 1080 ti is less efficient and can dump a lot of heat especially overclocked HARD, the TDP is a guide…and how much stress you put on the card is another, so that again will depends on your settings.

Hope this helps a little. You know your system best so with tweaking you can get what you want out of it. I can’t see any out right limits to the parts you have.

I have an EK D5 PWM Pump, Running a tad more than half speed.
I have Be Quiet 140MM Silent Wings 2 or 3 :confused: (Max RPM is 1500)

Sound is more important.

Thanks for the reply, very helpful indeed, put my mind at rest slightly. I was thinking about adding a thrid radiator, but it means more money (buying a new case to fit one) and time.

1 Like

Are they in pull or push pull, more fans at lower speed is quieter at same air flow, rather than less fans

1 Like

I wasn’t sure it would help too much with 30mm rads. I could be wrong though.

Push

1 Like

Yes, absolutely. You’re gonna be surely in a better position than using air cooling. Also AIB are making 3090s with 240mm radiators to cool the core and RAM so considering you’re gonna give it almost double the cooling capacity I don’t think that’s gonna be an issue.
Also, keeping in mind the power limits of the GPU and boost bins, I don’t think running any stock Nvidia card below 50°C gives out massive advantages in terms of performance.

Each system, configuration and ambient temperature is different. You’ll know once you get there.

If you increase the fan speed enough it will not. And you should really try to lower the water temperature below 40°C in my opinion. Maybe get a fitting with a temperature sensor and link the water temperature to fan speed/pump speed.

My guess is 2-3°C at best, once the system has reached equilibrium. Surely it’s not like having an air cooled 3090 dumping all that heat into an air cooler.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.