New Gigabyte-X570 Master not seeing M.2 Drives

Hi,

I am building a new/upgraded workhorse PC, which I will use for Adobe Photoshop & Premiere, as well as general day to day stuff. Build list at end of post, split between New and Recycled (from my old machine).

Oversight: I forgot that my boot drive on my old machine was an Intel 750 U.2 drive, so have bought a mobo which does not support U.2.
To try and get around this I have bought a ‘JSER U.2 U2 Kit SFF-8639 NVME PCIe SSD Adapter for Mainboard Intel SSD 750 p3600 p3700 M.2 SFF-8643 Mini SAS HD’.

I have installed the Samsung drive into the M.2B slot, and the Adapter connected to the Samsung in the M.2C slot - so that I do not loose any SATA connectors using the M.2A. However, when powered on, and going into BIOS, the machine is not seeing any M.2 drives as being installed - any ideas what I am doing wrong, the Samsung drive is on the compatibility list!

Problem #2: What are my chances of getting the Intel U.2 drive a) working and readable and b) bootable? The problem is that this drive was my system drive in my old system, and has all my apps, settings and some data on it, and the donor machine has failed so I can not copy the data off!

Thanks for any help.

H

Build List:- New
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Wraith Ripper 76.4 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER ATX AM4 Motherboard

Build List:- re-cycled
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: Intel 750 Series 400 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: PNY Quadro P620 2 GB Video Card
Case: be quiet! Dark Base 900 ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic Snow Silent 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit
2 x SATA III HDD’s
Various case cooling fans, including 1xBe Quiet! Pure Wings 120mm and 2xBe Quiet! Silent Wings 3 140mm.

My 1.0 X570 Master board didn’t see my Samsung 950 Pro when I tried to do the same…just nothing in the BIOS. It still works in another system though, so I haven’t bothered to go back to see if any subsequent BIOS have corrected the problem.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.