New Gaming - Recording rig

Hey guys, 

Just started watching the videos on youtube and have been loving it so far. Decided to post what I want to go here on the forum. 

Looking to replace my 7 year old pc with something new. Here is my current rig. 

Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition

Geforce GTX 660

2x2gb ram - Gskill something

What I would like to do is create a new gaming pc around $900 + , I live in the USA and would love to take advantage of any deals or suggestions to bring the price down as much as possible. 

Primary want to play games and record them with very little to no lag, streaming would be next and then having the ability to run my graphics programs and blender would be great. 

Here is what I was thinking of getting so far, any recommendations would be appreciated. 

AMD FX-8370 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor

Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard

A-Data Premier Pro SP600 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB FTW ACX 2.0 Video Card

Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case

EVGA SuperNOVA 1000G2 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

I know the above does not reflect any cooling or whatever, not really interested in liquid cooling but I can consider it. Was thinking of one of those nice gigantic radiators with 2 fans attached. So you guys think this will be enough power to play and record or stream while playing?

I also will be gutting my old system for the hdd's for more storage. 

Thanks for any help. 

There is no reason on this earth to get a 1000w psu for this build. also I would suggest a 290x over a 970 because of the recent Nvidia shenanigans. you're also above your own budget?...

what capture card do you plan to get? also id recomind the 8350 over the 8370

budget is $900 and up. Unless there is a deal It most likely will be around $1200+ 

Besides the memory shenanigans, why a 290x over a 970? will it help with recording video from pc games or using blender for 3d renders?

Thanks for the advice with the psu, what size would this build need?

Would a capture card help with recording pc game play? because that is what I am doing at the moment, no consoles yet. If not, why do you recommend the 8350 over the 8370?

as fawr as the cpu goes at time you can find it cheaper now the capture card you can record your gameplay your video games threw stuff like fraps but it takes a big hit on the preformance i recomind the avermedia Live Gamer HD http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815100100&cm_re=avermedia-_-15-100-100-_-Product

OR the avermedia Live Gamer Portable Video Device http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4UG1ZK0935&cm_re=avermedia-_-15-100-150-_-Product

it works rather well with sony vegas to edit the video clips takes little to no computer proformance hit wide range of cop from 360 up to 1080

I don't record my own videos or any of that stuff, but Isn't there some Nivida program where you can record your gameplay? And what's wrong with him using basic screen recording software like Camtasia?

Also, I think Pistol recommends the AMD 9590 atleast that's what she used. 

u cant record games useing Camtasia

295x2 over the 970. combined with a 9590 on liquid. and 16 gb or higher of fast RAM. 2133 or faster. Make sure you have either a pair of 10k RPM drives in RAID 0 or a RAID 60 of SSDs to enhance both your Blender renders and your game recording. Regardless, RAID RAID RAID. Or, if you are open to Linux, BTRFS the shit out of your drives. BTRFS implements its own version of RAID at the CHUNK level and is more robust. From my experience, blender under Linux is superior to Blender under Windows or Mac.

Thanks for the reply LinuxMaster! I may try a duel boot system and put linux on their for blender. 

Thanks for the clarification, didn't know they had options for pc's in regards to capture.

Build looks perfect!

no point buying a 9590 as an 8350 can be OC easily to 4.7 ghz which is the samething. 290 over the 970.

any word if you are getting a capture card?

The 9590 is a bit pointless, its expensive for what it is, runs like a wood stove, and has almost no room for overclocking. Also in my experiences with it (I have built a few systems with it) you need a really high end motherboard to handle the power it draws and the heat it puts out. Unless you can find one on like a super sale or an amazing combo with a motherboard I would go with an Intel i5 for better single core performance or an 8350 and overclock it to hell if you want a lot of cores. 

1 Like

So here is a couple options for you, one of them being an intel option which is going to have much better single core performance and draws a little less power and runs cooler (more overclocking headroom) but you do lose the extra cores for things like streaming. 

Intel System- http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZtLzjX

Now the AMD system- It has a lot more cores and a higher stock clock speed, it can be overclocked to be almost on par with the 9590. You gain a nice boost in streaming and when recording games that take advantage of more cores (which there are a lot of them now that do) you will see a good performance jump.

AMD System- http://pcpartpicker.com/p/JcgkmG

Now for some talk about the other parts. The 290x is probably the best sweet spot gpu you can get right now, also you get to use Mantle in the games that support it which will yield even better performance. Also I just through in a 2tb Hitachi hard drive if you want it, I have been using hitachi for a little while now and they are very good drives. You said that you weren't really interested in liquid cooling so I listed a nice Noctua tower cooler it is insanely quiet and keeps like very cool which will let you overclock. 2133mhz RAM will help you with things like render times and 16 gigs is more than enough now.

These are the parts I would get in your shoes or at least something similar like if you see a different 290x on sale then maybe get that or some RAM on sale. 

1 Like