New gaming/CAD modeling build with a 4K TV as a monitor

Hello i need some component choices advice for my first build comming this holyday season I have one component already a SAMSUNG 6 SERIES 4K 49 inch TV

I know, tvs dont make the best computer monitors and all that but I already have it and I paid a pretty penny for it. if we can go pass that the main focus for this machine will be gaming and given that the tv has a theorethical max refhresh rate of 60 hz through hdmi 2.0 that is what i want to play at so i will need a very decent gpu i am currently thinking a 1080 but i am open to advice, another thing that i want to do with it is CAD modeling using Catia because i am a desgin engineer i this way i could do home office from time to time. i havent decided much less bought any other components yet so please feel free to give me any advice. for pricing, i live in Mexico so consider us prices + 10% to 20% more and i have a budget of 1700 USD for this project. Thanks

Hi @Carmelopower.
You have a pretty tough situation with a gaming rig. Can you please list what PC parts do you have already?

This leaves you about $700 USD ($800/$1500) to spend on a GPU:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700X 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor ($189.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H5 Ultimate 76.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($46.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - X370 KILLER SLI/ac ATX AM4 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg Business)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($162.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg Business)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($61.05 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: ARCTIC - F14 Silent 46.0 CFM 140mm Fan ($7.99 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: ARCTIC - F14 Silent 46.0 CFM 140mm Fan ($7.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $806.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-07 10:09 EST-0500

just the “monitor” the 4k tv

thnks i didnt think of separating the budget like that it could be useful what could be the benefits of going with a ryzen 2 1600x with a x470 motherboard and the same other components?

1 Like

Make sure you double check display latency for your TV on rtings.com

I have the 40" model of that TV and a GTX 1080

Couple things. 60Hz can ONLY be done on HDMI 1
HDMI 2 can do 4K but ONLY at 30Hz
HDR is done at 12 bit 4:2:0 and sucks ass - not worth using - not even with a ps4 pro

Your big problem is going to be input latency, and the abysmal GTG times

As an example, watching anything full screen that has a persons face on it, you can literally see the black trails from their pupil if their face moves at all.
Dont even bother attempting to play any FPS games or anything that needs quick reaction times.

For CAD it will be fine and the large size of the screen real estate is awesome. Be aware though, Windows display scaling is hit and miss. Linux is much much better.

If you have any GTX1080 + 6 series TV questions, ill do what I can to answer, or take external pictures of how bad the ghosting is.

@Carmelopower I pretty much agree with @Kocytean.
You know, the big screen for CAD is a really great option. But, speaking of gaming on 4K TV screen is a bit hard.
Definitely, you don’t need to change your PC hardware. And returning to GPU, I think it would be fine with GTX 1080 at first. It is enough for CAD and it a great entry point to 4K gaming.
It would be better to move to 1080ti or 2080ti in some future.

Keep in mind if you’re at your limit in terms of PSU, you need to upgrade your PSU for a 1080 Ti or a 2080 Ti.

One benefit of going with a Ryzen 2600X and X470 is the higher clock speed. I am sure that the engineers at AMD also tweaked a bunch of things when going from 1st gen. to 2nd gen. Ryzen.

Yeah. And don’t forget about the 3rd gen of Ryzen next year.

If you keep waiting for the next iteration of a product, you never buy anything. If I bought a CPU today… I would grab the 1700X over the 2700, simply because it is $120 cheaper here in Canada.

The 1700X is more than I need, so that $120 goes to another part.

Actually 3rd gen/ of Ryzen has new complete new architecture. While, 2nd gen. of Ryzen is just improvement of the original Ryzen CPUs.
Though, you’re right. There’s no need to wait every next iteration.