New Freenas Build

Hello peeps,
I currently have a freenas server running on a HP n54L Microserver 3x3TB 8gb non ecc RAM, also have a server running on an oldish HP i5 PC. I’m looking to replace these with a single self built system running the server as a VM. I have following parts in mind -

AMD - Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor
ASRock - A320M-DGS Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
Kingston - ValueRAM 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Hitachi - Ultrastar 7K4000 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Fractal Design - Node 804 MicroATX Mid Tower Case
Corsair - RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power

[https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/K2Db29]

I’m going to backup the existing system and reuse the 3 3TB drives in the new one.
Does anyone have any suggestions recommendations?
From what I’ve read the CPU and mobo should support ECC RAM…?

Thanks
Darren

Changed my mind on the a320 will wait wait for b450.

Anyone have an opinion on the cpu?

Cant really give input without knowing its use.

building a Freenas box, with plex sabnzb and a virtual machine running from it

What does the VM need resource-wise?

Should be waay overkill for plex and the rest.

I am still running (or was until BMC flash died, awaiting replacement) Atom C2750, and have plex, deluge, sabnzbd, radarr, sonarr, lidarr, gogs, you name it. Over a dozen jails.
VMs out of the question though. Additionally, 4k MKVs would struggle, but that’s due to single threaded performance I think.

It seems people have had some luck undervolting the ryzen CPUs for this purpose. You gonna run ZFS for 6TB?

Is this server mission critical? If not, save some money and get non-ECC? (insert REEEEE here)

For a NAS 32GB of system RAM is overkill for only 3 x 2TB HDDs 16GB of either 2x8GB or 4x4GB will work better and cost less. Even if you have the VM taking 1/2 to 3/4s of the system RAM 8GB to 12GB of system RAM to the VM leaving 8GB to 4GB for the OS to use will not cause any noticeable slow dows.
for the Power supply most 80+ platinum ATX ones will be better than Gold looking at how overkill that RMx 650 Watt PSU is. The power curve is not as good on it as for the platinum rated ones but the difference is barely felt unless you want to keep the same power supply for over 8~10 years it will not make the ROI cost difference back.
For a NAS your CPU and motherboard are good but IF it is for a NAS that has a actively used VM on it for users to use not just the server to run on you might want to look at a Ryzen 5 2600 and a GPU for graphics out. If the VM is not for active use but only for the server to run on with usage being constrained to only the setup then leave it alone until it breaks the Ryzen 5 2400G will be good.

I did not have any luck with running ECC on the APU. (2200G but same thing) It will run but it won’t utilize the error correction. I am running Ryzen3 1200 now.

B450 is probably not getting you anything over A320 for the use case.

Maybe take a look at these two:
10GbE Ryzen SSD NAS
Ryzen Router

Ryzen 2x00G is still very new.
There may or may not be issues with stability, i’d check the FreeBSD / FreeNAS mailing lists. If there are issues it may pay to wait or go with a 1500X or whatever in the meantime with a cheap discrete card to avoid teething problems.

But if you’re willing to deal with that until they’re resolved, if they exist, go nuts.

I have pretty similar setup:
Node 804
Seasonic G-360
ASRock AB350M Pro4
Ryzen 1600
4 * 8GB ECC Kingston KTD-PE421E/8G
3 * 4TB WD Red
2TB WD Green

Ryzen 1600 is overkill, but chose it, so i could put it to desktop machine when not working with FreeNAS.

Recommend getting some extra fans and Intel NIC.
Integrated Realtek started acting funny after a month.

It will have 6x3tb drives in ZFS 1, I’ll probably go with a lower wattage

Thanks for that, I’ll go with the R3 1200 - that supports ecc right?
Use the spare cash for an Intel Dual NIC dont need 10gb though.

Yours looks very nice btw.

Yes, basically any Ryzen CPU that isn’t an APU does run ECC.

Just make sure that you get unbuffered ECC memory, as in NOT registered.
Those are electrically different and registered only runs on server stuff, not on Ryzen.

An Intel NIC is always good to have, you can get the 1Gb dual port pretty cheap.

If you’re running Plex Media Server go Intel not AMD, PMS uses Intel quicksync to offload video transcoding. Something like an i3-8100 would make sense, super-cheap and comes with 4 real cores now in coffee lake.