NEW Fractal Design Case: Meshify C (and x299 build) | Level One Techs

http://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/meshify/meshify-c

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://level1techs.com/video/new-fractal-design-case-meshify-c-and-x299-build
3 Likes

Ooooh! Finally a Fractal Design case that doesn’t look so boring.
I really like the crystalline appearance of the front grille and I read the mesh is good for temps also.

2 Likes

OK, my 2¢

Pros:
Front mesh - good intake airflow
Glass sides - look nice
Captive screws - can’t be lost
Front cover comes off easily.
Good cable management area

Cons:
Top mount buttons/USB/audio - may cause placement issues in some desks
Not enough room for a top mounted radiator and fans - can’t do push exhaust for top radiator
No exposed drive bays - No optical drives, etc.

Meh:
Bottom air filter - does anyone even care except for power supply
Could hold more drives

I like to run positive pressure, and have radiator in a push config out the top. That way the hottest air is being pushed out, and ambient air is always being refreshed by front air which should be the coldest. I usually block off the bottom filter/holes except for the power supply area, to help maintain positive air pressure in the case.

This is probably the Fractal case I like the best, but that’s not saying much. I wouldn’t buy this case.

It’s a nice looking case, but it seems kind of on the small side. As others have mentioned there isn’t much room for radiators and of course no external 5.25" bays. I’m excited to see Fractal Designs trying a new case design but I guess what I would really like to see is a proper successor to the Define R5. This looks to be more in the Define C category.

1 Like

Yeah. I like how “short” these cases are with no 5,25" bays; but they’ve taken it a bit too far in my opinion by also shrinking the width. 120mm case fans in this day and age, are just not for me.

Tempered glass is definitely a plus though. I’d need that to ever consider a window on my system.

I’m amazed that Fractal managed to do cool from that front panel material what normally looks cheap, and would imagine that getting copied fast

I likely won’t ever buy Fractal Design cases unless well they are a fair bit cheaper than the next best priced case I am looking at. Honestly I don’t like their plain, simplified look and so really the case would have to be $10 cheaper than one I am looking at to even consider it and then likely I still wouldn’t buy Fractal Design. Still liked the post / video because well it is Level 1 Techs content. Also I did find a way to like a video on Xbox Live’s version of YouTube.

@wendell do you mind doing a phantoms eclipse p400s tempered glass case review. I’m curious to see your input on it… I see it has been well praised but I like to hear your cons… They have good perspective… Plus it’s pretty slick case for a sleek powerful PC… I’m curious how well it’s sound dampening holds up to a fractal design…
http://www.phanteks.com/Eclipse-P400S.html

to be as “open” as this case was, with the 120mm fractal fans, it was shockingly quiet. I don’t know how they did it tbh. It is true that with extreme overclocks the S24 struggled a bit but for my specific chip at 4.7ghz and 1.15v with real world use, it was just fine.
I don’t have any contacts at phanteks but if they reach out I’ll ask them if they’d like to. If they go on sale at newegg I might pick one up next workstation I need to build

1 Like

That would be awesome thanks for the considerstion. Wow 1.15 volts that’s pretty nice… The cases are not to expensive… It’s kinda why I am choosing it for my ryzen build… Hopefully it is good as it’s hyped up to be lol

I was considering it myself but from what I gathered the Eclipse P400S TG for all its silence optimization does take quite a hit in airflow. Then again how much airflow do you really need if you are going for a silent build and wont run fans at full speed anyways? I wouldn’t really know. I went with the NZXT S340 Elite this time(not sure that it is any better though). Now all that’s left is to pick a Ryzen CPU…

1 Like

Looks good, but I would probably buy a Phanteks Enthoo Pro if I were in the market for a new case right now. The Meshify C is $99.98 shipped on newegg and the Enthoo Pro is $99.99 with free shipping. Plus I still use an optical drive so any case I buy has to have at least one 5.25" drive bay.

I’ll have to give the eclipse p400s a definite 1 up in style IMHO… Though the fact that both cases lack support for a slimline optical drive is rather disappointing

True, slimline would be nice, but I don’t really need to install/read/write much from disks so the rare few occasions can be accommodated via an external disc reader. As for style I don’t really like the eclipse’s front panel since on my desk the tower would be located such I’d be looking at it from the side anyhow. Thus the 90 degree angles of the S340 end up looking more appealing to me. Do note I’m talking about the Elite model however.

I do enjoy that front styling. Reminds me of this:

Though I do wonder how sturdy the mesh is… I mean I know its mesh so its not going to be that stiff, but I hate cheap material.