New computer constantly restarting

Hello,

I just built a computer and I was able to install Windows 8.1 and all drivers without a problem. For some reason though, whenever I stress the video card or play a game, the computer will restart with no errors or crash reports other than the computer did not shut down properly. I've tried everything from updating all the drivers and updating the bios. I still am having this issue and I don't know what to do. Thanks for any help.

My system:
MOBO: ASRock Z97M Pro4
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA B1 750W
CPU: Intel i5-4690k
GPU: MSI GTX 970 Gaming 100ME 4GB
RAM: G.Skill Ares 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133
HDD: Seagate 4TB
SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB

Barring any heat related failure, I'd suggest that the PSU is the culprit. Sounds like loss of power, the scary thing about a faulty PSU being a possibility is that there's no real telling what damage may have been done to the system if that's what really is the root of the problem.

1 Like

I've been monitoring the heat closely and it is not that. I was thinking it was the PSU as well since it is a 4 rail psu with only 20A per rail.

Figured it out...it is the PSU, I underclocked the video card so it doesn't draw more than 1.1V and it hasn't crashed. As soon as I allow it to hit 1.2-1.25V it resets. Thanks for the help.

No problem, I'm glad you got it figured out.

Since it does have that shitty quad rail design be sure that you're running 2 separate cables (2 rails) to the gpu.

Tried that with 2 of the unused rails. ~40A I just checked the GPU box and in fine print at the bottom it recommends a 500W PSU which I had but with a 12V rail producing a minimum of 48A