New computer build

I’m planning on a new computer build for my little brother. I’m trying to build a system that could be expandable. This is what I decided on so far.

GIGABYTE X570 AORUS ULTRA
AMD RYZEN 9 3900X 12-Core 3.8 GHz

What would you recommend for a entry-level video card and memory?

Hey, welcome to the forum…
I have a couple questions:

How little are we talking about? I wouldn’t give a 12yo a 1000$ worth of hardware…

3900X is not really expandable, nor is AM4 in general.

Oh, and what is the purpose of the build? What will he do with it?
If gaming an he is young, like 12yo young, then Ryzen 3600 should be enough for gaming…

RX580… Can’t really go wrong with Sapphire…
Also entry level GPU and the crazy powerful 3900X is really bad combo. He doing some processor heavy work?

Pick something from the motherboard QVL, but in general go with some well regarded brands - HypwrX, G.Skill, Crucial…

5 Likes

Hopefully the computer will be used for homework.

I used to be a system builder about 15 years ago. What I would normally do is buy the most expensive motherboard with the most expandable features a cheap CPU memory and video card.

1 Like

The reason why I chose that motherboard and CPU combo is because on NewEgg right now it’s like eight hundred dollars l.

Here’s the thing…
The entire AM4 platform is in its twilight… Not the movie, as in end of life.
So basically no new CPUs, no upgrade path. If you are dead set on high end CPU with entry level graphics go for it, but I don’t know. My point was you can build the entire system inside 800$ and he may not notice the difference.

I will be able to bill my father’s company for this computer.

Then why looking for entry level graphics? Get something powerful like 5700XT…

Isn’t that illegal?

1 Like

Should I just buy on the Apple ha ha.

Not really… Its company property, they will get the business discount, nobody cares if the business will actually use it…

The reason why I got out of the IT field is because I do not have a college education. My father makes me sit in with the IT department and when they suggest to overhaul to the network or something. I do most of the heavy lifting because my father knows he doesn’t have to pay me $30 an hour to do it.

I feel like the topic got sidetracked.

How much is your budget? Also what will be the main use for it? If its only gaming I’d suggest a Ryzen 5 CPU and a mid-ranged GPU

What kind of home work are we talking about?
I mean a 3900X is allot of cpu core power for general home / office work i think.

Kinda depending on the workloads, maybe a 3800X 8 core or 3700X 8 core,
might be sufficient as well.
So that might be something to consider.
Because then you will have some more money to spend towards storage or a better video card,
hence maybe even an additional monitor etc.

The Gigabyte aorus Ultra is a pretty nice board.
But it kinda depends on its price if it’s really worth it or not.
In my opinion feature wise this board is very similar to the Gigabyte X570 Aorus pro wifi.
The vrm is the same as well, it’s just that the Ultra uses more beefier heatsinks,
and that of course will help some for a 3900x.
But yeah other then that from what i can see the Ultra only offers an additional m.2 slot.
So yeah not sure ¨if¨ all that is really worth it.

2 Likes

Thanks

Something like this will do well for 1920x1080 gaming… fantastic actually:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($117.68 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI X470 GAMING PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($111.84 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($63.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: ADATA XPG GAMMIX S5 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($95.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 590 8 GB GAMING 8G Video Card ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400 ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA BQ 750 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($65.98 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Corsair CO-8950006 67.43 CFM 140 mm Fan ($4.99 @ Corsair)
Case Fan: Corsair CO-8950006 67.43 CFM 140 mm Fan ($4.99 @ Corsair)
Total: $710.44
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-09 17:19 EST-0500

The case comes with 2 120mm fans. Those go in the rear and top for exhausting air. The 140mm fans go in the front as intakes.

Unless your little brother is into programming, graphics rendering, CAD, machine learning or a few other things, that 3900X will be overkill. They’re amazing. I have one. But unless I am building one of my programming projects it hovers around 5% usage.

I would move down to a 6 or 8 core CPU like the 3600 or 3700. Then spend the saved money on a better GPU and really good SSD storage, like a 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 drive. And an external backup drive. Or two, so you can move one offsite. A 4 to 8 TB backup drive is pretty affordable and if you ever need a backup then you really need it and will be glad you have it.

For the video cards, the AMD 580 someone else mentioned is a good pick. I found a refurb Vega 56 on sale for cheaper than the 580. Not sure if you want to go there, but you can look around for some great deals on higher end refurb or used cards.

2 Likes

thanks

Why.?

You do realise expensive ≠ good right?

There are a ton of expensive trash boards. And the ones that aren’t trash are targeted at extreme overclockers, and I kinda doubt you’re going to do that.

The AM4 platform (just as any other platform) has a set amount of features, they are dictated by the CPU and Chipset.
On a sidenote: especially the aforementioned expensive extreme overclocking boards typically lack in features because they are pointless for their usecase.

I would go B450 + 3600 as that is plenty for almost any regular use task and if her need more cpu power later you could pick up a used 3900 or 3950 later. GPU wise I would shoot for a RX570/580 or 1660ti depending on the budget. Ram something 3200-3600 should be plenty good for a starter rig. As for the storage 500gb + SSD either SATA of nvme and a 2nd spinning rust of 2-6TB. If you want to splurge 2tb 660p would perfectly fit the bill imo.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.