New Build Tight Budget

Hello Everyone. I'm really thinking it's time for me to build a new system...bug time. The system I'm currently using was built back in '09 and is running a Phenom II X6 processor.....and a R9 280x 3GB....8G RAM...I can't remember all the brands or the motherboard...it was so long ago. I originally started parting a system on pcpartpicker based on the FX-9590...but I'm concerned about power consumption, heat, and the obvious fact that AM3+ is over. I'm looking to spend absolutely no more than $1k(if possible)....less is obviously way better. This will be my primary gaming rig...I'm thinking of doing some changes to my current system to use as a capture/streaming rig. Any suggestions?

Here's a Link to what I put together.
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/WeekendGameGuy/saved/WFnCJx

This gives us a ton of cash to work with. I'd build one myself but work duties are too much right now for me to put in the required effort I would need to build a solid system for ya. Hopefully someone else comes along and helps you out as you really have more breathing room here than you realize.

1 Like

What is your timeframe? Ryzen is nice, but the cheapest part is $330. If you can wait for Ryzen 5 to come out, that would probably be best for a capture rig, but if you can fit it into a budget, the R7 1700 obliterates the 7700k in productivity. If this was a pure gaming rig, I suggest Intel, but since you're planning to do more (I think), the AMD chip is the better deal.

Looking at your build, I'd like to ask how important your case selection is to you. There are less expensive options that can house 360mm rads comfortably. I also think you have to much PSU for the parts I'm seeing. I'd consider a 1000W PSU to be excessive. Unless, of course, you're planning to add a second GPU and seriously OC the CPU and GPU.

220W + 200W + 100W = 520W Assuming the the CPU runs at 220W and the GPU at 200W and allowing 100W for the rest of the system (RAM + lights + HDD and anything else I can't think of). A 650W unit would be cutting it close, but you have double that.

I like that case because it has the 2.5" caddies on the side (out of the way)....and honestly I like the look haha. This build would become a Gaming Only system. I will be turning my current system into a capture/productivity rig. My current system while far from stellar does a great job currently capturing and rendering video. I chose the large PSU because from what I've read the FX-9590 recommends a 1000W PSU.

I'd wait for Ryzen R5 chips if possible. They should have the 'issues' sorted by then and the price/performance (if the R7 chips are any indication) should be untouchable (at least immediately).

Also go with 16GB RAM (speed is irrelevant, RAM is RAM, capacity will help far more than speed).

I do like the 480 in there but what res are you playing at? Knowing that info will help a lot in determining which card to go with (I wholeheartedly support the 480 as Vega isn't out yet).

Case is whatever you want as that's the most personal choice there is in building a rig.

I'm not a fan of AIO coolers, I'd just throw a Cryorig R1 ultimate or the ever-popular D-15 in there. Less points of failure, much longer lifespan (fan replacements is all really), and the performance is incredible when compared to even mid-level AIOs. That being said the decision ultimately comes down to you and whether or not you want to spend that much more for the slight performance bump.

Also I'd go with a lower wattage Seasonic PSU (Seasonic is the gold-standard of the PSU market. The stuff they make is simply amazing.) Johnny Guru whatever PSU you're looking at though. And the idea of you need to go double the required? bullshit. Unless you want absolute maximum efficiency there's no reason to throw a 1400W PSU in a 700W system (yours will be far less than 700W though).

Also, Why 2 500GB HDDs? I'd personally go with a 1TB or higher HGST but the WD blacks are apparently pretty decent drives too. Are you setting them up in Raid? I'm curious as to why 2 lower capacity HDDs instead of 1 bigger drive.

1 Like

The 9590 is a bad decision because:
1) You need a beefy power supply
2) You need an expensive 990FX motherboard
3) You need a powerful cooler

All three things are very costly and can not be justified by the 9590s meager gaming performance. I'd guess a i5-7600 would be better in gaming. If you want to stay red: wait for the Ryzen R5.

Your storage ideas seem a little wonky to me. I'd recommend a bigger SSD and a slower (slower than the WD Black that is) 1TB HDD instead of your 240 + 500 + 500 solution.

I personally do not see the justification for a 160+ $ case for a 1000$ build.

1 Like

Intel Core i5 paired with that GPU will be plenty (but more expensive). The Corsair 450D ($50 cheaper) has 2.5" brackets on the backside of the mobo tray (can't say about looks, that's kinda personal haha). Even with the 9590, a 1000W unit is a bit overkill, and you've gone beyond that. If you shop around, you should find products that offer the same functionality at a lower price (the 450D is slightly overpriced).

I'm just trying to figure out how you could shave some money off your current build.

hey man, i hate to burst your bubble but if you want your build to be a gaming rig you choose a lot of bad parts. goign with ama3 is a mistake as it has 53% worse ipc(instructions per clock) then ryzen which has 7% worse ipc then kaby lake. what that means is a 4ghz fx chip will be slower then a 2ghz kabylake chip core for core. on top of that the psu is way overkill, the case should not be one of the most expensive parts of the build. go with kaby lake or ryzen 5 or 7
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vpJfCy
also not in the budget atm but adding this to your rx 480 at a later date would improve thermals and allow a oc to around 1400-1500. gamers nexus has a walkthrough video series where they did this.

I also prefer air coolers I'm just afraid of something failing with an AIO. I'd like to run at 3440X1440 (or at least to have overheadto eventually run that I'm currently running 2560X1080). My original plan was to RAID the two 500G disks

You might consider a non-k core i5 (either skylake or kabylake, there's no real difference). That would mean that you won't need a z chipset, and that you could get an inexpensive mobo. It would also mean that you don't need an aftermarket cooler (the stock one is ugly and annoying, but functional).

1 Like

So I tried this out: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TdkXWX
Came in a hair over the $1k but I chose a few more expensive components. I also felt like going with the Z270 board opens up more upgrade possibilities. Didn't include a case I'm not sure what I'll do now...I really like the 780T. Being that I'm a few months out from the build (I'm waiting til after I move); I figured I could wait a little bit longer and get the more expensive components.

My first question:

If you're waiting a

You could easily wait for Ryzen 5 (the hexa and quad core parts) that will be better for gaming than R7. Also, the mobos are much less expensive.

any official talk on the R5 performance or have I completely missed that somewhere along the way.

There have been no "official" benchmarks, but you can probably find people that have disabled cores on the R7 parts to simulate the R5 parts (for a rough idea). There are, also, quite a few "leaks" floating around the net.

Officialy, R5 is coming within the next couple months, and R3 is coming after that.

R5 should be coming in the next couple of months as should Vega since it's Q2 launch. My guess would be sometime in June though so you may want to get up and running before then. R5 maybe a month out... I can't see them withholding it too long. But this is purely speculation at this point.

2 Likes

No real talk.

But there are some estimates on the basis of the R7. The R5 could be either: Only one of the two modules present on an R7 1800 or a partly deactivated 6 or 8 core part.

But then again: We have been wrong before.

Gotcha. Looks like the best course of action is to wait...scrape some pennies...and see where I am come Mayish. Thanks

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hncxPs

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 V5 3.4GHz Quad-Core OEM/Tray Processor ($239.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK AIDOS BLACK 48.6 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($16.99 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Motherboard: ASRock E3V5 Performance Gaming/OC ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($135.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($99.97 @ Jet)
Storage: ADATA Ultimate SU800 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($135.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury 4GB NITRO Video Card ($234.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair Graphite Series 230T Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12G 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($56.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $985.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-14 10:01 EDT-0400

1 Like

I'm not sure if the memory is compatible but you can just swing a Ryzen R7 system for a thousand bucks.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PWVFqk

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($328.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME B350M-A/CSM Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($89.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($99.97 @ Jet)
Storage: ADATA Ultimate SU800 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($135.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury 4GB NITRO Video Card ($234.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair SPEC-01 RED ATX Mid Tower Case ($38.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($74.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1003.79
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-14 10:14 EDT-0400

Tray CPUs are not covered by Intels usual warranty. I's best to avoid them:

Just don't. It's like 5 bucks more to get the boxed version (be it WOF or not) but that gives you the opportunity to annoy Intel directly if your CPU is dead on arrival.

2 Likes