New Build: This weekend is going to be fun. I love tax return season

I’m going to affectionately refer to this build as the Level 1, because it’s pretty basic in terms of actual assembly but I have L1T and this community to thank for keeping me in the loop enough to make wise-ish purchasing decisions for this build. First build since 2011. Woohoo!

Parts pictured:
CPU: Ryzen 7 1700X
Motherboard: Asus STRIX X370-F Gaming
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming Windforce OC
Case: Fractal Meshify-C Mid-tower
Thermal Paste: Noctua NT-H1

Parts arriving tomorrow (now here):
RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) G.SKILL Flare X 3200
PSU: Seasonic FOCUS Plus 850W Gold+
Drives: 256GB WD Black m.2 NVMe, 500GB Samsung 860 EVO SATA 2.5", 2x 2TB SeaGate Barracuda 3.5" 7200RPM (Rust Pinwheeling Units)
Cooler: AIO Fractal S24 240mm
Mouse: Logitech G502
New Tools: Amazon ORIA Computer Toolkit (time for a new one for me)
External Drive Dock: ThermalTake BlacX Duet (making data transfer between old and new rig easy on myself)
Screen Cleaning Wipes: CareTouch, because clean is good, mmkay?

Stuff arriving next week:
Desk Mat: L1T Hard Drive Blueprint Desk Mat
Desk: Fully Jarvis Hand Crank 60"x30" Curved Bamboo w/ Casters
Monitor: Crossover 34U100 3440x1440 Curved 34"
Also I ordered a Robot Vacuum. The ECOVACS DEEBOT M79. We’ll see how it is.

Stuff being recycled:
Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate
Microphone: Snowball
Speakers & Sub: Sony MCH-EC99i
Headphones: Skullcandy SK Pros

Might buy:
Oculus Rift (Is it worth it? Seems fun.)

If anybody has any questions about any of these parts, feel free to ask me. I probably can’t answer anything, but if I can be a resource to anybody’s purchasing process I’d be happy to.

Thank you, Federal Government.

P.S. - Anybody got any gaming recommendations that I can enjoy on this rig and an ultrawide monitor that would be especially nice fun?

3 Likes

Looks like a great build Have fun and enjoy it!

Curious to see what RAM speed you’re able to achieve and no VR product is worth it. Be sure to update your BIOS too

1 Like

Thank you for the BIOS reminder.

I’m going to try to run at full 3200 but I’ll be happy with 3000. Anything lower would be a bummer.

As for VR, it would be worth it for me if this year’s F1 game were to come out with VR support. I have pedals and a wheel, and previously ran a 3-monitor setup to play. That was a blast. In VR I think it would be incredible. No other games or genres grasp my attention for VR though.

1 Like

3000 is prob doable for sure. Not sure if that is a B-Die kit. I think it is though.

4 sticks starts making things tricky though with Ryzen.

I suppose. $500 or so for one game? Meh no thanks.Besides the current headsets aren’t very good imo.

It is B-die, and G.SKILL’s marketing for this kit says something like “Guaranteed full functionality with Ryzen.” The sticks literally have “Made for AMD” stickers on them. It’s kind of funny, actually.

As for the VR, yeah. The only reason I’m considering it is that the Oculus full setup is now prices at $399. That’s with the headset, controllers, and a couple room sensors. It’s a hard maybe.

1 Like

You should have no problem holding 3000MHz if I can do it on Hynix. Also running an ASUS board (Prime X370 Pro).

Have fun!

1 Like

At least my flare x kit allows just -0.005v’s off from that 1.35v, so they are what they sell I guess?

Yeah you should be good but alot does come down to your particular memory and IMC. But again you should be fine.

Ehh for me it is just a lot of cash for a decidedly first gen, or possibly beta, product.

Sacrifice them nutrients that your 1700x boots with 4.0Ghertz @ 1.4v’s so that your ordeal will become easy for that part

It will probably hit 3200 then.

I’ve got 4x8GB of 3200 rated b-die running at 3200 in my Taichi with a 1700.

EDIT: Also, excellent choice of case.

reason i waited for a system upgrade when i had my phenom X6 1100T as my daily to FX was this exact reason new beta tech i will wait for the bugs to be fixed before i go all in. got the FX 8350 as its replacement and am still rocking it until all of zens big bugs are solved. going to be a good show from Intel and AMD and I win as competition leads to consumers win with value per $.

I don’t disagree with you there. I’ll hop on the VR train immediately when I can basically use the headset as a giant high-res workspace display, and also when there are sweet VR movies and stuff. At that point, the gaming will just be a nice side-benefit.

2 Likes

That’s a couple generations out, but people are already working on it.

1 Like

The deed is done! Now I’m just waiting for the monitor to arrive some time next week.

3 Likes

beautiful. :smiley:

I have both a Vive and Rift. Recommend waiting, the 2nd gen is about out. 3rd gen will probably be the one to get.

1 Like

I appreciate the advice. I’ll hang tight then. :slight_smile:

1 Like