New Build, No Display Output

Brand new build. Everything seems to be fine. Verified connected properly, starts up, lights up, fans all work... But monitor reports no signal.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qn8zcc
(dunno if that list showed up, incase:
CPU: Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus - MAXIMUS IX HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair - Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4-3466 Memory
Storage: 2x Intel - 600p Series 1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB POSEIDON Video Card
Case: Corsair - Crystal 570X RGB White ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair - 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit
Monitor: Asus - PG279Q ROG Swift 27.0" 2560x1440 165Hz Monitor
Keyboard: Corsair - K95 RGB PLATINUM Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Razer - DeathAdder Elite Wired Optical Mouse)

Been years since I built a computer, so I may be missing something obvious. That being said, I took my time putting everything together.

Power lights up mobo, GPU, all the fans, keyboard, case, etc. Boot runs through to code AE (Legacy Boot event, no SATA drive/boot drive, planning on booting from USB stick), so I don't think that's the problem (yet). Problem is, monitor is reporting no DVI signal.

Ran through a boot checklist. Verified CPU is seated proper, heat sink same (yes, I removed plastic cover, thermal paste was already applied) & plugged in (to CPU Fan jumpers), RAM seated properly, power cables seated/fully engaged, mouse/keyboard plugged in to their respective USB slots (with the 2nd keyboard USB plugged in "below").

1.) Considered that the GPU needed BIOS/Driver updating to talk proper with the mobo, so I pulled the GPU, plugging the DVI into the mobo port. Also tried HDMI, no joy either (both through the GPU, and the mobo).

2.) Pulled all but the first stick of RAM, same issue no DV signal, so don't believe it's improper/DOA RAM.

3.) Verified the monitor works (display'd a PS4).

4.) Disconnected the PSU power cord, discharged mobo for ~60 sec, tried to restart, no bueno.

5.) Reflashed CMOS, restarted, no signal.

6.) Post code of AE shows up, but no signal to monitor... Oddly enough, when I restart the computer, the sleeping monitor "wakes," but only to tell me no video input.

There was no mobo speaker, and I forgot to buy an aux one (it's in the mail as we speak), but I do not think the boot is the problem. That side of the equation seems fine. Same with power, everything seems to power up fine. Just have no video output signal. No idea why.

Also, all components are new and were handled delicately (both physical and electromagnetic).

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated, thank you.

Make sure onboard video is enabled in UEFI. The Skylake i3 I built a while will not display discrete graphics with it on, no on board video with it off. May be a similar situation.

Thanks for the reply. Brand new build, haven't been able to get any graphics to the monitor at all.

Yea, you might need that to get into the UEFI. Sorry.

Do you have another monitor or TV to try?
Update to latest UEFI? Should not need a monitor for this.

Yeah, I can run the HDMI to another display/TV, that might help... Will see, thank you.

First thing i would try next is to take out the gpu,
and connect the monitor to an onboard video port on the motherboard.
Just to see if you get post then from the igpu, if you have not tried that allready.

Yes 'Angel I did. Took out the GPU, flashed the CMOS, then restartted it.

I think it's posting fine (I get to AE/Legacy Boot event), I just have no idea why the video isn't transmitting...

Ah yeah sorry i missed that part in the op.

Okay next thing to try.

1: disconnect the system from wall power.
2: take out the bios battery that is located on the motherboard.
3: put the gpu back in.
4: put back the bios battery again.
5: connect the monitor to the gpu.
6: fire it up again.

See if that does anything.

Some "brick and morter" outlets will charge 20 bucks to bench test the mb.

One build I did had a bad board, breathed allot easier when I saw the 15 day return policy.

Yep. Talked to a local computer store, gonna take the tower in, they're gonna try putting an i3 in it, see if it boots then, update the BIOS and hope the i7 works..

Hate having to phone a friend. Thanks for all the help ladies and gentlmen.

Is that board one of the ones you can use a USB drive to flash the bios without a CPU installed?

Also I would check the power going into the gpu to make sure it's plugged in all the way

I believe so. But, if it runs with an i3 CPU, I'll know that the board is sound. If I flash it without, and I still have no output, did I bork up the BIOS? Etc.

1 Like