New build Gigabyte WRX80 + TR Pro 3955WX + Titan Ridge v2.0 problems

I have filled the PC using Gigabyte WRX80 and Threadripper pro 3955WX and I have added the thunderbolt 3 Titan Ridge v 2 card. After about 10 hours, I was able to get the system up and BIOS to post and was able to install windows 10. I got the TB card to recognize and install. I made sure that Device Manager has no pending drivers. I attached my thunderbolt devices which the Thunderbolt manager software sees and reports “connected” but I cannot see the drives or the devices on my computer. I have selected no security on the bios for thunderbolt. I am getting motherboard LED code “9E” after the system is booted up. I have installed all the latest firmware and bios software. I am not sure what else I need to do. I am perplexed as to why I cannot access my TB devices even though the Titan Ridge card is seeing them and connect to them. Please advise.

Try using the jumper to disable the onboard vga. You will have to unplug the power supply for about a minute to ensure the onboard Ii resets properly.

Have a look at Gil Boyd’s videos on the TRX40 Designare he has been looking into the Thunderbolt card. as have i but I don’t actually use mine as I don;'t have any TB devices. but i think you may need to update the firmware on the Titan card! I did and it worked on my computer.

I hope this will help - In know it is not the same mainboard - but the trick will be the same!

Henrik

Thank you for your response. I will try that. What exactly does the onboard VGA do?

Also, because of the significant difficulties in setting up proper TB3 on the Gigabyte Wrx80 motherboard, do you recommend building with the ASUS Sage motherboard instead?

not if you want thunderbolt?

lets say the TB was not priority; would you recommend the Asus over the Gigabyte version?

They both have their warts. If tb wasn’t s concern I’d probably go Asus because of using the bottom pcie slot. The top pcie slot on my board acts weird also though whereas all the slots on the gb are fine

Thank you. I am a big fan of your channel by the way. I got the new Maple ridge TB card to see if it works with the Gigabyte but I am not sure if the chipset is supportive. I cannot get TB3 Titan Ridge to act normal. I have strange connectivity. Sometimes my Pegasus32 connects, other times it does not. The apollo 8 quad connects and I can see in UA Consul but it is not available for sound output under windows. I am going cooocooo!!!

If you use the jumper to disable onboard vga (it’s in the manual) you’ll have a better time.

Make sure you hard power cycle by killing power for 30 secs and unplugging it (ipmi is always on)

I did that. I waited for about a minute with the computer unplugged. What does the onboard VGA do anyway?

You can remote onto the machine whole it’s off and manage it.

You update the bios? You gotta do that through the ipmi as well

I have updated the BIOS to the latest through the impi. I have also updated the firmware of the Titan Ridge card to 50. I wish the thunderbolt setup was much easier. I have not had much luck. Very unpredictable performance, hot plug, cold/warm reboots. Not sure what else to do.

What are the settings in bios for the card?

So I have it as Titan Ridge type and I enabled the other types. I have also enabled the L1SS along with boot with USB. The remote wake is set to the second setting (I don’t remember the name of it) and I have is as Native compatibility.

Maybe do some screenshots and I’ll compare. What’s it look like in device manager? The other person that had issues I did a screenshare so I could poke at it. … been doing a lot with thunderbolt for many years and doing stuff maybe as a poor man’s fabric…anyway we got his stuff working after a lot of teeth gnashing and it was mostly onboard vga and resource sharing. It’s in the x8 slot right? Try it in the top of second to top slot. Those are different root ports on the CPU

So in the beginning, I was getting errors in the Device Manager. Somehow the drivers were not properly installed on device attachment. Those went away after a while. I did not do any tweaking since I did not know what to do. Right now, device manager has no errors. I do have it in the second slot (x8) and that is also in the BIOS. I have not tried the top slot but I have a RTX 3090 in there and it is taking up three of the slots

Swap that around and report back pls :slight_smile:

The larger XL type cases with the 3090 in the bottom. That’s really the way to go

Ok, will do. I have the fractal design XL 7 case so it should work fine.

So I switched the components. After restart I got my devices recognized but if I add a portable TB drive, it does not. Also do you still recommend the legacy drivers for the TB or DCH?